Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Run/Tail/Turn 69461-06D problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 PM
pak7176
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Help! Run/Tail/Turn 69461-06D problem

I have an ‘02 FLSTC Heritage that I just installed the H-D Aux Run/Tail/Turn 69461-06D on. I have regular bulbs in brake light and turn signals. When ign is turned on Aux, everything works/lights up like it should ie: running light, brake light, signal. When the ign is turned to the on position, the left running light goes out, signal works but no running light and intermittent brake light when activated. It worked once or twice right but then went back out. I replaced all the bulbs with new ones. What can this be? I am stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 PM
mplazz
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure what bulbs you are using but the turn signals need to have a single element, #1156 or #2396. I have a '03 Fatty but it has touring tail lights with a 69461-06D Run/Brake/Turn module. It works fine.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,408 Likes on 4,015 Posts

If all bulbs are OEM, and you have no other aftermarket accessories in your lighting circuit, I'm guessing you just have a bad signal module...

The only warnings in the instructions (I just looked out of curiosity) are:

1) It's not compatible with the narrow rear directional bar (#68611-98). For the life of me I can't understand why that would matter.

2) It warns the kit uses 4.5 amps more from the brake light circuit when the brakes are on. That could pop a fuse or along with other accessories drain the battery, but shouldn't cause the issues you are having.

It's such a simple plug & play device, I don't think it's possible to connect it improperly. If you don't have some other aftermarket electrical accessory causing a conflict, it seems there is nothing else that could be causing your problems other than a bad signal module....

I'd return it as defective and get another one...

Let us know how this turns out...

Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 AM
pak7176
Novice

Would the voltage be different between Aux power and the On Ign position? The module works correctly on aux power, it does the funky no left light thing with the ignition on and/or running. It also worked until after I pressed the brake pedal to check braking lights, then went out again. Could it be a wiring issue in my harness?

Old 10-07-2017, 08:29 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by pak7176
Would the voltage be different between Aux power and the On Ign position? The module works correctly on aux power, it does the funky no left light thing with the ignition on and/or running. It also worked until after I pressed the brake pedal to check braking lights, then went out again. Could it be a wiring issue in my harness?
If it works in the "acc" position but not the "ign" position; i'm thinking your ignition switch maybe be the problem. Try taking the switch apart and cleaning it. Do a search here, somewhere there is a good thread on doing this.

Maybe remove the new module and see if everything works OK, then it would probably be the module.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:30 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Very strange that you posted this issue, because I'm having the same happen to me. It all started yesterday when I replaced my battery with EarthX Lithium battery. In my case both front running lights are out though the turn signals work. Strange thing is that when I turn on my aux. lights all works fine. I leaning towards an over voltage issue, if that's possible.

Last edited by aviscomi; 10-21-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

After forty five plus years as a electronic, computer mainframe, industrial power plant electrical AC and DC, low, medium and high voltage electrical troubleshooting and preventative electrical maintenance tech.
I would suggest that you take off that modification and put the bike back to the stock and see if everything works properly.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:05 AM
hysteel15
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
After forty five plus years as a electronic, computer mainframe, industrial power plant electrical AC and DC, low, medium and high voltage electrical troubleshooting and preventative electrical maintenance tech.
I would suggest that you take off that modification and put the bike back to the stock and see if everything works properly.
not sure what model you have but I had same problem an it turned out to be a small wedge piece in the front brake housing had fallen out!! About 50cents!!! The wedge holds the plunger down to turn lights off

Old 10-24-2017, 07:59 PM
pak7176
Novice

Update:
Somehow the problem has fixed itself on my rear lights. I do have a shortened turn signal bar mount, but it’s not the one in question from H-D. Don’t know if it was an ignition switch issue or a voltage issue. I made sure the battery was fully charged. All lights are functioning properly now with the module plugged in. Thanks for everyone’s input. I plugged and unplugged all the lights and the module. I turned ignition switch excessively to make sure there wasn’t a connection problem there. Now all is well and I’m happy the module works and I didn’t waste my money(threw box away so couldn’t return).