2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if a wheel bearing is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default How do you know if a wheel bearing is bad?

I bought a used 16 Road Glide Ultra with 14,041 miles on it from a used motorcycle dealer in Dallas, TX today and road it 510 miles home to Independence, Mo. I had ear plugs in all but the last 30 miles. Didn't hear anything unusual with the ear plugs in. But as soon as I started riding without the ear plugs I heard a fairly loud jet engine sound coming from the front of the bike. Only hear it when moving. I can rev the motor up when stopped and it's not there. Does this sound like a bad front wheel bearing? Bike is still under the factory warranty until June of 18. Just trying to get an idea of what it might be.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 10-14-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

A bad bearing usually sounds like rocks rolling around in a coffee can, not a jet engine. I had a wheel bearing go south, sounded like a leather strap hitting metal.

Jet engine sound - maybe a brake dragging?

Old 10-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Eagle Keeper
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like brake shoe dragging.
Could be disk warpage that causes the shoe dragging.
I had a front shoe dragging last week on my bike and it sounded just like what you describe. I had been changing wheels and apparently need to shim the brake caliper over. No big deal. Glad you made it. Probably just needs a flush and bleed. You can use a flashlight at night and shine it in the gaps (1/16th) between the shoe and disk and watch the shoe clamp tight and hopefully back off when released. It barely moves but is noticeable. If either or both shoes don't noticeably back off the disk with a slight gap, it needs attention. Hopefully all your parts are good and a bleed will fix ya.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:50 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I've never had a motorcycle wheel bearing go bad on me. But, I used to work on industrial automation machines that contained hundreds of sealed ball bearings, all under huge pressure from taught belts, running at high speed. Bearing failures were common, every day events.

There are several possible noises, including the jet engine type, the banging type, the crunching, grinding, slapping. Etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:59 AM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

If you can lift the wheel off the ground and spin it, shouldn't make any noise or after riding a few miles touch the hub, it should be warm if its hot to the touch you got a bad bearing.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:03 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Tires new?

Old 10-15-2017, 06:36 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

After a ride, check the front rotor to see if it's hot. Also, look for rough surface of the rotor face, both sides of each rotor.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i've had wheel bearings growl and had some make noise like that had rocks in them. get it up in the air and check it out. place your hand on the end of the axle and spin the wheel. should not be any roughness in it.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I realize that I am a long ways from your bike and to make a diagnosis without being there is nearly impossible, but when you said "jet engine whine" the first thing that came to mind is that the sound you are hearing "might" be a drive belt that is too tight. Those belts actually will tighten up the warmer they get instead of loosening up, thus if it was not tentioned properly after having the rear wheel off for service it very well could be whinning. Just a thought!

Old 10-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

You know they are going bad by:

Sound, Feel, Vibration, Appearance

They will Howl at a frequency that will get your attention.

With your bike off the ground you can spin the wheels and feel roughness and play.

You can also feel vibration when a bearing is failing.

If they are really bad the grease is coming out the sides, the seals/shields have broken off and the ***** and retainers are exposed of worse coming apart.

Quick Reply: How do you know if a wheel bearing is bad?