Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making it Quieter!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:07 PM
ArizStan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making it Quieter!

Howdy,

Not really my first post, I've just not been on here in a while and think my original logon ID was deleted.

Anyway, just picked up an 09 Ultra Classic and it came with Bub7 Dual Exhaust. Didn't think the exhaust was too bad until I took it on a 150 mile ride yesterday. It just got to be stupid loud. Guess I'm getting old, but the last Ultra I had was not near this loud, if I remember right, it had V&H True Duals, it was an 08. Looked down the mufflers and there are removable baffles that do not appear to be wrapped. Before I spend the big bucks for new mufflers, I was thinking of wrapping them.

I haven't had any experience wrapping the baffles, doesn't look like too big a deal. Was really just wondering if it would be worth it. Right now with the decibel reader on my phone at idle is about 77 and at 2000rpm its about 81.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
ArizStan

Last edited by ArizStan; 10-15-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Welcome back!

I have been there before. Had pipes that were just not enjoyable on long rides even with ear plugs. I cannot help on the stock baffles. However the best pipes I have bought in a long time were the HD Screamin Eagle ones I got on our 2016 Limited about a year and a half back. They barked when you wanted them to, it sounded like a Harley but nice and quiet otherwise. These were under $400.00 new and there are probably deals on take offs to be found on eBay.

Good luck

Old 10-15-2017, 03:27 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I have tried the reverse before with little noticeable difference but I don't hear very well. Took the wraps off of a set of Bassani pipes. Couldn't tell a thing but your results may vary.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:40 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I read once you can use wood stove rope door gasket in place of the worn out fiberglass material.as long as the originals come with some type of material over the baffles you should have room to re wrap them.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Sell the Bub here. Pick up a complete stock 'take off' exhaust system from a newer model for $50 or $100 (I've seen slip-ons go for $10), stick it on and be happy.

Normal use, it's just fine.

Personally, I'd go for a de-catted 2-into-1 header system tho'. 2-into-1 means you only have to find one slip-on to try out until you find the right volume setting.

Last edited by Wodan; 10-15-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:07 PM
ArizStan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate all the input.

Don't get me wrong, want something more than stock, a growl, not a roar!

Wodan, I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist, but stock take-off's around here are $100 to $150, no way am I paying that price for stock. I remember trying to sell and then giveaway a set of stock mufflers and ending up throwing them in the trash!

I will keep the other suggestions in mind.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Norcalsvt
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You could get some packing online and try packing the baffles your self. Im not familiar with the slip-ons you have but it shouldn't be to hard, or expensive to do it. If they are still to loud then I would look at the street cannons or Nightstick slip-ons Rob

Old 10-15-2017, 04:14 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

If it has true duals that is why it's loud. True duals will always be louder then 2-1-2. I know two guys with the same mufflers, one has true duals the other V&H X pipe. The sound level is not even close. That being said you should be able to get a stock head pipe with the cat removed for a reasonable price.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:16 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

All kidding aside, you might be able to find someone willing to give you the stock slip on mufflers for free...

Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
All kidding aside, you might be able to find someone willing to give you the stock slip on mufflers for free...
agreed. I've thrown several sets in the garbage. I couldn't even sell them on ebay for $50.

Quick Reply: Making it Quieter!