Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Shifter Arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Loose Shifter Arm

The shifter arm on my 07 Heritage is loose down at the bottom (transmission level). Does anyone happen to know what size Allen wrench is needed for the shifter arm bolt? Harley said the whole primary assembly, clutch and all, needs to come off to tighten it and I'm not buying that.

It's definitely going to be hard to get at..

Old 10-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

1/4” hex.
Hope all goes well and it’s not the splines that have gone.

Attached Thumbnails Loose Shifter Arm-06999972-6278-4c75-9b97-27f35ee6370a.jpeg   Loose Shifter Arm-aa461dad-1e92-4132-a0dc-9afd2fc3532a.jpeg  
Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Thanks! I got my flexible mirror and LED flashlight out and got to looking at it. The head of the Allen bolt is stripped out completely, so someone has already tried it tighten it and screwed up the bolt head. That's kinda strange since when I got the bike long ago, it only had 5K miles on it. No one since has ever messed with it, unless Harley did it for some reason. I'm going to see if I can get an ease-out in it and get the bolt out.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Your primaries have to come off I think, and yea you can sleeve the shift arm with some thin aluminum in a pinch.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

There’s another option, it’s a quality piece of kit.
https://betterlever.com/

Can’t be sure this is the same kit used successfully by some uk members on another forum but it gives you a good idea of what’s available if you want a fix that avoids removing the primary covers.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Thanks. I'm going to have another look at it today and see if I can figure out how to get it out of there without messing with the primary. I saw a YouTube video where a guy did just that, but it wasn't real clear how he did it. I've also got to figure out what to do about that stripped out bolt head..

Old 10-21-2017, 07:08 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Thanks. I'm going to have another look at it today and see if I can figure out how to get it out of there without messing with the primary. I saw a YouTube video where a guy did just that, but it wasn't real clear how he did it. I've also got to figure out what to do about that stripped out bolt head..
It's not usually the gear shift shaft that goes out it's the linkage lever .

Old 10-21-2017, 08:45 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This may be a good time to upgrade you linkage rod to a better one with Heim joints instead of the original ball and socket joints. They are known to fail without warning! Hence one of the reasons most Harley riders carry zip ties with them.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:48 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I found this on the "Better Lever" page

"6 SPEED BIKES HAVE A RECESSED AREA in the primary case across from the transmission shaft. This indent in the primary case gives enough room to take the lever off without removing the primary. Take the tightening bolt out and slide the worn out pot metal lever off the shaft"

Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
I found this on the "Better Lever" page

"6 SPEED BIKES HAVE A RECESSED AREA in the primary case across from the transmission shaft. This indent in the primary case gives enough room to take the lever off without removing the primary. Take the tightening bolt out and slide the worn out pot metal lever off the shaft"
Well, it's about to rain so I'll have to wait a bit. I'm still trying to decide how to get the bolt out since the head is stripped out. I might not have to get it out since the arm slides back and fourth on the shaft, but I'm not sure yet. I did look at the Better Lever and that may be the way to go on the replacement.

Edit: It sure doesn't look like there's anough room in there to get the arm out..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-21-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Loose Shifter Arm