Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Fivefishwish
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Clutch won't disengage

2014 softail slim 2900 miles.

Just got home from biketoberfest, rolling bike off trailer when I noticed that it wouldn't roll freely with bike n gear and clutch pulled in.

No work has been done to motor or tranny other than fluid changes when I had covers PC'd. Primary fluid level looks good. Although it has a grayish color which concerns me. As my first bike I dnt know if this is normal.

So I adjusted clutch by the book multiple times. Even used an "easy" method I found on here but with bike on lift, in gear, clutch pulled in, the rear wheel will not turn by hand. What am I doing wrong? Or do I have bigger issues? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you tried putting it in neutral, starting and trying to put it in gear to see if it works? I assume you drove it onto the trailer. Though my bike rolls with the clutch in, it doesn't roll real easy. I stopped starting the bike while in gear because it drags on the starter too much.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Fivefishwish
Cruiser

I have not started it since doing the adjustment. Wanted to make sure I had it right before buttoning up the derby cover.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Fivefishwish
Cruiser

Ok. It seems that while running n gear with clutch pulled in I can push it fine. But if it isn't running, in gear, clutch pulled in, it's a PIA to push. Is that normal?

Old 10-22-2017, 01:54 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Fivefishwish
Ok. It seems that while running n gear with clutch pulled in I can push it fine. But if it isn't running, in gear, clutch pulled in, it's a PIA to push. Is that normal?
Yep, it's like that on my bike, especially when the bike is cold

Old 10-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

^^^Yep, same thing I said earlier. I'm gonna guess that it used to not do that. When I first got my bike it rolled fairly easy while in gear and didn't lug the starter too much. But that gradually changed and now I deal with it like I said. My clutch has been adjusted two or three times (stator replacement and such) since that began to occur and it's made no difference. I'd say you're good to go..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-22-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Fivefishwish
Cruiser

Nope never done it b4 now. Guess it's one of those things. Thanks for the input!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Fivefishwish
2014 softail slim 2900 miles.

Just got home from biketoberfest, rolling bike off trailer when I noticed that it wouldn't roll freely with bike n gear and clutch pulled in.

No work has been done to motor or tranny other than fluid changes when I had covers PC'd. Primary fluid level looks good. Although it has a grayish color which concerns me. As my first bike I dnt know if this is normal.

So I adjusted clutch by the book multiple times. Even used an "easy" method I found on here but with bike on lift, in gear, clutch pulled in, the rear wheel will not turn by hand. What am I doing wrong? Or do I have bigger issues? Thanks in advance!
Maybe its locked up from lack of use? Looking at your mileage that puts it at a whooping 830 or so miles a year.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Fivefishwish
Cruiser

I bought it n March with 1300 miles. N like I said, just got back from biketoberfest where I put about 300 miles on it n 2 days. Not to mention I drive it to work every day it's not raining n above 60°. Dnt think lack of use is a concern. And would it "unlock" when it's running?

Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Just curious, why you would have the bike in gear with clutch engaged while pushing. I've been around for a while and can't say I've done that.
Sounds like your disc and plates are not breaking well when not running, which I wouldn't worry about, as long as it work while it's running and you're shifting. I would be concerned about gray looking fluid, really cheap to drain and change for peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Clutch won't disengage