Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go louder with tweeter pods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 PM
truejdm
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to go louder with tweeter pods?

2011 Street Glide

My current setup is a hogtunes amp, j&m 7.25" speakers with the mids/highs speaker grills, and the hog tunes tweeter pods.

Being that the pods are 2 ohm to match the amp and I had to drill holes in the fairing to mount them.

I'm looking to add speaker lids.

Can I get different fairing speakers, add lid speakers. Use a 4 channel 4 ohm amp and somehow keep the pods?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

true...I have seen guys put the tweeters from a component set in the HT tweeter pods... or mount tweeters in a surface mount cup in the same place as the HT tweeter pods.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:32 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

keep the tweeter pods and try some pro audio fairing speakers, PRV or Mmatts, both will not let you down,,,wire the tweets in parallel with the correct filters, then see if you want to upgrade to pro sound horn/tweets.
m

Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by truejdm
2011 Street Glide

My current setup is a hogtunes amp, j&m 7.25" speakers with the mids/highs speaker grills, and the hog tunes tweeter pods.

Being that the pods are 2 ohm to match the amp and I had to drill holes in the fairing to mount them.

I'm looking to add speaker lids.

Can I get different fairing speakers, add lid speakers. Use a 4 channel 4 ohm amp and somehow keep the pods?
Depends on the the new amp. 1. The new amp needs to be 2 or 4 ohm compatible. 2. The new amp is probably going to be twice as powerful as the hog tunes amp @ 2 ohms. So you're gonna have to be careful with power distribution. Those hog tune tweeter pods will blow in a heartbeat with too much power. If you go pro audio. The hog tune tweeter will be drowned out by the pro audio speakers. They are just not loud enough to keep up. On a 2011 SG I'd go with VO B3 horns in the gauge holes, pro audio speakers and forget about the hog tune tweeter pod.

Or you can keep the tweeter pod and go with a component set up with better tweeters than can handle more power like the AW6.5 set up with the AT28 tweeters.

Whatever you decide. The hog tune amp and the JM speakers need to go!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:34 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Depends on the the new amp. 1. The new amp needs to be 2 or 4 ohm compatible. 2. The new amp is probably going to be twice as powerful as the hog tunes amp @ 2 ohms. So you're gonna have to be careful with power distribution. Those hog tune tweeter pods will blow in a heartbeat with too much power. If you go pro audio. The hog tune tweeter will be drowned out by the pro audio speakers. They are just not loud enough to keep up. On a 2011 SG I'd go with VO B3 horns in the gauge holes, pro audio speakers and forget about the hog tune tweeter pod.

Or you can keep the tweeter pod and go with a component set up with better tweeters than can handle more power like the AW6.5 set up with the AT28 tweeters.

What Gann said

Old 11-15-2017, 02:15 PM
truejdm
Tourer

What amp would you run on the VO and pro audio setup. The only reason I want to keep the hogtune pod is because of the holes in the fairing. Could I wire the pod into the factory radio before the amp?

Originally Posted by Gannicus

Old 11-15-2017, 02:23 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

What amp would you run on the VO and pro audio setup. The only reason I want to keep the hogtune pod is because of the holes in the fairing. Could I wire the pod into the factory radio before the amp?
Will you be staying with a fairing only setup?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

I do know those hog tune pods can be modified to fit most any tweeter. So keeping the pod itself is not a problem. Just need to pull the hog tune tweets out of it. Your amp choice is gonna depend on how many speakers you want to run.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:13 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I put a set of Focal tweeters in my hog tunes tweeter pod, unfortunately couldn't get the DD AT28 to fit, they were too large and would probably destroy the pods, however the focal tweeters sound a lot better than the hog tunes tweeters, not as harsh.

The following users liked this post:
Gannicus (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 PM
truejdm
Tourer

I'd say my goal is to go with speaker lids. But if I can get a fairing setup that going to blow away my currant setup... I'll be happy.

Quick Reply: How to go louder with tweeter pods?