Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Wheel bearing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts
Default Another Wheel bearing thread

09 ultra- no histroy on replacement but when i had the bike on the lift i jacked up the tire and it spun nice and free no problems . But i decided the best way to clean these rims was to take them off . When i had them off i ran my fingers around the bearings and was not right so i pulled them today

The orange one was abs and it was fine the other side had very little grease in it and it was burnt and black inside ,most of the cheap wire cage was gone and the ball bearings were rubbing against each other (the roughness i felt) this would have failed for sure in the next year and im glad i pulled them
For me this will be part of yearly inspection
Like i said i have no history but my second year of ownership
Im putting All ***** bearings front and rear so i have a starting piont if there are future problems

Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-20-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I see a lot of bearings with that vaseline looking stuff in the bearing on the right, especially photos of ones that failed. When I run across that stuff in new bearings, I clean it out and put in a good quality name brand synthetic - and more of it than that bearing has. I lightened the photo so folks can see what I'm talking about.

I've used AllBalls in 3 motorcycles now, so far with no problems. They're double sealed on each side, have heavy ball cages, and are well packed with Chevron green synthetic. Might be Chinese made, but they're way better than Harley's Chinese made bearings, and have them in abs sizes, too.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

A lot of trurth in that , bothers me that that bearing passed the rear tire spin push pull test - was shocked how bad it was

Not knocking anybody but unless wheel is pulled no one can say that bearing is fine until you get your fingers on it

Dave

Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,077 Likes on 1,261 Posts

This confirms my choice to spend $99 on a new Bearing Puller/Installer last week. 2003 FLHRCI with 55K on the odometer and OEM Bearings in it. Decided it was time to change the bearings, even though they pass the "Spin Test", but just because I figure that they are due. "All *****" has been my choice in the past, so I'll probably go that route again.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a bit more info - bike has 75,000 kilometers about 45,000- miles I have no info other then what i saw

Dave

Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

I like the old wedge style better.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dave
09 ultra- no histroy on replacement but when i had the bike on the lift i jacked up the tire and it spun nice and free no problems . But i decided the best way to clean these rims was to take them off . When i had them off i ran my fingers around the bearings and was not right so i pulled them today

The orange one was abs and it was fine the other side had very little grease in it and it was burnt and black inside ,most of the cheap wire cage was gone and the ball bearings were rubbing against each other (the roughness i felt) this would have failed for sure in the next year and im glad i pulled them
For me this will be part of yearly inspection
Like i said i have no history but my second year of ownership
Im putting All ***** bearings front and rear so i have a starting piont if there are future problems

Dave
09 was a rough time for Harley wheel bearings, and inner primary bearings. They have superseded the wheel bearings at least 3 times.

Mark

Old 11-21-2017, 02:03 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I have 33,000+ miles on my '13 CVO Ultra.
Hoping that I can make it to 40,000 miles or until the end of next season and I'll have new tires installed and have all of the bearings checked (and replaced)if needed.
I'd rather have the bearings installed while the bike is down for either new tires (or stored for the winter) than having a breakdown on a trip.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Just a bit more info - bike has 75,000 kilometers about 45,000- miles I have no info other then what i saw

Dave
That sounds like a lot, I wonder if they are already a replacement set. The current ABS bearing is on its first revision, the plain bearing on it's second (third version).

Old 11-21-2017, 07:13 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
This confirms my choice to spend $99 on a new Bearing Puller/Installer last week. 2003 FLHRCI with 55K on the odometer and OEM Bearings in it. Decided it was time to change the bearings, even though they pass the "Spin Test", but just because I figure that they are due. "All *****" has been my choice in the past, so I'll probably go that route again.
Where did you get your tools?

Quick Reply: Another Wheel bearing thread