Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob or Fat Boy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Fat Bob or Fat Boy...

Come late spring I've decided to trade in my 16' Fat Boy S on a new 18' Fat Bob or Fat Boy. I'm on the fence between the two bikes and every day I read a review or watch a video and I sway back and forth. I test drove the Fat Boy in the fall when it was released but the dealer didn't have a Fat Bob at the time. The other day I was at the dealer and I sat on the Fat Bob and really like the feel of that bike. I'm buried in snow here in MI so I have a long time until I can actually test ride the two bikes back to back so for now just hanging out on the forums admiring everyone's new softail rides! I use my bike for my daily ride back and forth to work which consists of 10 miles of freeway riding and the occasional long trip but can set up either bike for a trip. I would like to hear from the guys that were on the fence between the two bikes and what made you buy one over the other.

The following users liked this post:
Navyvette (01-14-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Decker72
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I looked into both bikes and the Fat Bob just spoke more to my riding style. Being more of a function over form guy, it handles and performs better than any HD I've ever ridden.

The following users liked this post:
Gunslinger18 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

What he said!

I do love the look of the Fat Boy, but I just think the Bob is a little bit more of a hot rod and better in tight bends, which will make it perfect for my needs.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Unhappy

keep your fatboy s the new softtails look like jap bikes

Old 01-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Decker72
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kojax
keep your fatboy s the new softtails look like jap bikes
Comments like these also drove my decision ... I believe the Fat Bob received the most amount of ridicule from the masses when it was released. There's just something that's so gratifying about being the guy that the haters love to hate.

The following 5 users liked this post by Decker72:
02603SEC (01-18-2018), Another Old Timer (01-04-2018), Herrick (03-17-2020), Rakthi (01-03-2018), sectime (01-16-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile

i still like the look of my 2010 fatboy lo looks like a harley sounds like a harley rides rough like a harley should ride not smooth like the new softtails

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob or Fat Boy...-1910230_982314635175197_4850162473399869844_n.jpg  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:00 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL! I do not agree that new softails looks like Jap bikes! I had a Jap bike a 2002 VTX1800 and yes it was a muscle cruiser and nice bike for it's time but does not compare to the new softails in ride/handling. I also had a 06 919 which I miss running around the twisties on and back and forth to work so that's why I keep leaning towards the Fat Bob. Looks like a fun bike to ride and could set up for a short touring trip.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Fat Bob FTW

Old 01-03-2018, 11:49 AM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Heheh, I wouldn't worry to much about what Kotex says. The knuckle head guy that hated the pans, the panhead guy that hated the shovels, and the shovelhead guys that absolutely pissed all over the Evo softails with thier fake jap suspension. You'll always have thoes points of view.

The new M8s in the new frame have some of the best characteristics since the Evo. Only it improves on the good things from Evo era and reduces the things that make you want to get off an Evo after an hour. "Rides rough like a Harley should" Go back to riding rigids , buldge disc,and regular dentisty repair. No Thanks.

As far as the 2 choices for new bikes go, tough call. I had a good go on both before I bought. The new fatty is quite a leap forward in terms of softails, so if you love the look, it wont take long to enjoy the better geometry,handling,fueling and suspension.

The Fatbob is another animal all together. Ugly, like the original Hum V was ugly. And totally Awesome at it. Throw thoes dogs a bone and get powdered pieces back in short order. It's a more competent bike, that just begs for you to Challange it. Higher suspension, great lean angles, and tractor pull torque, just make the whole package formidable. I like how it does not try to be something it's not and It doesn't apologize for what it is. Just a bad a$$ bike.

Once you get some decent weather You'll come off the fence pretty quickly. The fatty is a nod to the looker, and does compromise on the high end ability when compared to the bob. The fatty does not care as its simply not desiged for the same thing. Hard not to look over your shoulder for just one more look when you park up and walk away if you get the Fatboy. If your on the Fatbob, your focus is firmly on the next corner ahead, only looking back to see if there are red and blues in the cloud of dust your created as you passed the rest of us.

Enjoy the hunt Its one of the best parts.

Last edited by kb_jag; 01-03-2018 at 11:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kb_jag:
Nomad1Actual (02-12-2021), RexD (01-11-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Decker72
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kb_jag
The Fatbob is another animal all together. Ugly, like the original Hum V was ugly. And totally Awesome at it. Throw thoes dogs a bone and get powdered pieces back in short order. It's a more competent bike, that just begs for you to Challange it. Higher suspension, great lean angles, and tractor pull torque, just make the whole package formidable. I like how it does not try to be something it's not and It doesn't apologize for what it is. Just a bad a$$ bike.
Hell yeah! This post makes me want to buy a 2nd Fat Bob.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob or Fat Boy...