Problems with CANBUS or dielectric grease

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Sedow Alexander
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with CANBUS or dielectric grease

Hi, everybody!! I have SG2015
I read a forum much! Many people write that on models with CANBUS there are many problems with water hit (in rain)!
I want to disassemble all electric plugs, HANDLEBARs SWITCH (Switch Pack Connectors), fairing on the new bike....., then I want to cover everything
special dielectric grease! Somebody so did? It will save from water (rain)? What places can be greased and what aren't present?
Maybe somewhere at forums already wrote about it if someone knows, give please targets to pages!

Thanks for all !))

Old 01-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

I believe you are over thinking this. Rushmores had a left switchpack problem for whatever reason. My 15 Ultra did, dealer replaced the switchpack under warranty and I haven't had a problem since through washes or rain.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Seems like a good way to introduce a problem.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:30 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I wouldn't worry so much about this.

I ride my 2016 Ultra Classic in rain pretty regularly, since I use the bike for basic transportation.

Going on 37k miles now, and not a single problem with switchgear. Or bearings. Or anything else water-related.

However, I do not apply high pressure water while cleaning. I clean only with a spray bottle of RO water and an Army towel. I believe that pressure washers are the source of many problems.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I haven't gone through my '15 Limited to put dielectric grease on every connector, but any time I DO disconnect one I grease it, especially the one that connects to the throttle body.

I did grease all of the connectors & terminals on my '94 Dyna, though, due to finding corrosion on a couple of them. So far, no problems with either bike due to greasing the connectors.

Actually, I've been doing this on every vehicle I've owned for decades now without issue.

Best wishes,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 01-13-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Sedow Alexander
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know whether it is possible to use grease for CANBUS? Somewhere I saw information that it is impossible...

Old 01-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Leave well enough alone till you have a problem. Most all these have rubber boots seals and such and are greased when built. Unless you have it apart.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,262 Likes on 433 Posts

I did have problem with 2014 FLHTK missing and cutting out every time I washed it. Greased the throttle body connector, plug wires at both ends and the O2 sensor connections under side cover. Problem solved. YMMV

Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Leave well enough alone till you have a problem. Most all these have rubber boots seals and such and are greased when built. Unless you have it apart.
I don't think so. They do have connectors that are supposedly water resistant ('course, they're really not), but I've never seen any evidence of factory-installed dielectric grease on any H-D I've ever worked on, including my '15 Limited.

I've put D-grease on every terminal or connector I've had apart on every vehicle I've owned for decades now with no negative results.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sedow Alexander
I don't know whether it is possible to use grease for CANBUS? Somewhere I saw information that it is impossible...
Correct! - you don't use grease on a CanBus connector.
I have a friend who is a Harley Master Tech and a lecturer on bike mechanics and electrical systems who has confirmed this.

Quick Reply: Problems with CANBUS or dielectric grease