General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the function (safety) of each piece of gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM
Rengar
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the function (safety) of each piece of gear?

Boots: What do "motorcycle boots" provide that regular work boots dont?

Jackets: Which jacket is best? Isn't leather the best?

Vests: why do i need a vest if i have a jacket?

Pants: What do "motorcycle pants" do that regular jeans dont?

Sorry for what might sound like stupid questions, but i'm planning to start riding this spring for the first time.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I’d say work boots would be just as safe as motorcycle boots unless you are maybe comparing them to like a knee high armored style boot or something. Sort of like what some of the sport bike riders wear.

Leather is good but so is a lot of synthetic style jackets. If safety is your biggest concern I’d be looking at jackets that have some type of body armor in it. Personal opinion leather or a good synthetic comes down to style and cost.

Vest? In my opinion not needed for safety unless looking maybe for like high vis or something. To me the leather style or more function in pockets for smokes lighters patches etc.

Pants again come to personal choice and how important safety is to you. Can get pants with body armor Kevlar lined etc.

I’m no expert on the safety type clothing because I simply don’t wear them. To me if I had all that leather jacket chaps body armor full face with neck brace and all that stuff I’d be so freaking hot I’d never want to ride. Some options though if wanted would be mesh jacket with the armor. I made my choice and know the risk should I go down. For me jeans and a T-shirt.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Rengar

Depending on the motorcycle boots. Some will offer superior ankle and other protection.

There is no one "best" jacket. Different jackets offer different results. Depending on the weather and protection you want.

It's a personal choice

Depending on the pants they will offer superior crash protection with the knee and/or hip pads. Depending on the pants they will offer superior slide protection than jeans

Sorry for what might sound like stupid questions, but i'm planning to start riding this spring for the first time.
Motorcycle gear has many, many variations and price points. For all different needs and conditions.

Last edited by baka1969; 01-14-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Rengar

Boots, technically nothing in theory, but often motorcycle boots are taller than average work boots theoretically providing a bit more protection. As well as flexibility, some work boots have reduced ankle flexibility and or to large of a toe box, causing difficulty with shifting.

Jackets, Whatever style material you like best and that suits your typical riding conditions. Many folks have several jackets for different occasions. Leather being best is a thing of the past with modern advances in materials. Although I still prefer my heavy lined leather coat in the cold. This is when motorcycle specific come in definitely, motorcycle jackets provide longer arms, various vents, both on the front and rear, and a collar that doesn't flap around at a minimum. Although often they include built in or removable armor, and reflective properties among other features.

Vests, Work great when it isn't cold enough for a jacket, or too cold for the jacket you have. They provide easy access pockets, as well as keep you core warmer, but aren't for everyone.

Pants, you can easily find jeans at your normal pants shop that will work, keep in mind you will want them a bit longer typically or they will be to short while on the bike. As well as ensure they give you enough room in the crotch. But to answer your question, motorcycle jeans often have armor built in, or at a minimum are dual layer in the neccesary areas.

Hope that helps, good luck with your new hobby/lifestyle.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome. Go to Motoport’s website it will explain how leather reacts to water and tear Strength of Kevlar versus leather vs jeans which are about as good as wearing nothing. Best Custom made gear all made in America, that money can buy. Approved for GP racing.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:31 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I was surprised that a helmet wasn't even on your list? Many see no reason to wear one.

Last edited by max56; 01-14-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Boots, technically nothing in theory, but often motorcycle boots are taller than average work boots theoretically providing a bit more protection. As well as flexibility, some work boots have reduced ankle flexibility and or to large of a toe box, causing difficulty with shifting.
I wear steel toed work boots to ride and it's never been an issue. Even if it were and someone wanted to wear them, the shift lever is splined and adjustable.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Motorcycle specific gear often has features of specific value to motorcyclists. For example, motorcycle boots often have more protection on the left to (the part under your shifter), whereas work boots would not.

Motorcycle jackets tend to have different types and designs of zippers, pockets and sometimes they have vents you can open and close for varying temperatures while riding. A non-motorcycle leather jacked wouldn't have those features.

Gloves ... find a nice warm pair of gloves you wear when you're outside shoveling snow? They might not be warm at all at 70 mph. Motorcycle gloves take into account that you're riding a bike, your hands wrapped around the handle bars.

Everything is like that ... bike gear is designed keeping in mind things unique to riding.

Having said all that, you will find differences between cheap bike gear and good bike gear. Harley gets ragged on a lot for what they charge for bike gear, but I will tell you, in my experience, they have every single detail down. You can buy something that looks identical, and in actual usage, find there are minor details that make a big difference.

Right now I wear a pair of Milwaukee Leather boots that looked very identical to the HD boots I was replacing. The zippers on the HD boots were on the inside, the new boots have the zipper outside. The HD boots were MUCH easier to get on and off. The HD boots had eyelets for the shoelaces. The Milwaukee Leather boots have those hooks ... the laces pop off when the boots are unzipped.

All of it serves at least 2 functions ... your comfort when riding, and saving your skin, bones, and life (maybe) if you crash.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

My biggest concern with boots is a good no-slip sole. Most any good heavy leather boot will offer decent protection, but you don’t want to drop your bike at a stop if you hit a wet spot or an oil patch.

I have two jackets, one leather and one mesh with armor. Those are weather dependent.

And don’t overlook gloves. Also very important.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:51 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Leather gear can help prevent (some) road rash if you should go down while riding your bike.
Even if you make it through an accident without a broken bone(s) road rash can be very painful and is also prone to infection and permanent scaring.

I've seen two of my friends after an accident and one's biggest complaint was the road rash on the bottoms of his hands due to his not wearing leather gloves, while the other (who suffered a head injury that could have been fatal) complained about the road rash he suffered on his "love handles and around his back when his vest pulled up as he was grinding on the asphalt. He still has thick scar tissue that will never go away.

Substantial leather boots are far better than regular shoes, sneakers or flip flops. Steel-toed boots at be better if you can find a comfortable pair.
I personally witnessed a guy slowly moving his Ultra around in the H-D dealership parking lot and lost his balance and put his right foot down to support the bike with the RH running board on top of his new, H-D leather riding boots! If not for those boots, he would probably have suffered a broken toe or foot.

The one area where I'm a bit "lax" on safety gear is that I only wear leather pants in cool/cold weather, and I really need to look into some good "riding" pants.

The two items that the OP didn't touch on was a helmet and eye protection.

I always wear a helmet (1/2 shell or FF modular) with impact resistant sun glasses and sometimes also a shield, depending on the weather and road conditions.

Quick Reply: What is the function (safety) of each piece of gear?