General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling through Canada on financed motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Traveling through Canada on financed motorcycle

Okay I can't seem to find much on the subject of Canadians requiring proof from your lender that you can take the bike into Canada.

We'll be heading up to Boston the end of April and plan to come back through Canada staying a couple of Nights at Niagra Falls then exiting through Detroit.

Do Canadian border points bother to ask or check to see if your lender has given you permission to take the bike over the border?

I've already spoken to my Insurance agent, I'm all good to go with them, they even sent me Canadian cards.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've been to Canada on a bike while it was financed and it was never an issue. To be honest, I never even gave it a thought. Wasn't a question from authorities on either side of the border either.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

I live in a border town, and even though, never had a vehicle financed, have never been asked that question. Thinking about it, it would probably stop half the bikes and vehicles from crossing if it were an issue. I have to ask, what is a "Canadian" card. One thing they will ask, if you have a Criminal Record, that will stop you crossing if you do. Both sides ask that one.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

I suggest contacting Canada Customs directly with your questions.

Any time I've crossed the border, Customs agents (both sides) sometimes just ask if the vehicle is mine. After I say "it's mine" or "it's a lease" they don't ask anything further.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:06 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,054 Likes on 11,067 Posts

Financed vehicles must cross the border all the time. It never crossed my mind and never considered it an issue.
Rental cars might be a problem.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:11 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Driven across US / Canada border many times in financed vehicles, though not in last 15 years or so. Don't recall ever being asked about vehicle ownership (several times was driving a vehicle belonging to the mother of the drunk girl in the back seat...). Never an issue.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 460 Likes on 232 Posts

Probably 99% of all vehicles that cross the border are financed I cross the border a lot into Fort Erie or Niigata Falls, and have never been asked that question.
You will need a passport or enhanced license though.

Last edited by Low budget Dan; 01-17-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
One thing they will ask, if you have a Criminal Record, that will stop you crossing if you do. Both sides ask that one.
I thought they just check everyone. Why would they ask? Seems strange. Do they check if you reply you don't have a criminal record? Do they just wave you through? Seems like pretty weak vetting process. I went to British Columbia once on a port of call while on an Alaskan cruise. Beautiful country.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:37 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

They won't always ask about a criminal record. In fact, I've never been asked. They do check, though.

They don't care if your vehicle is financed.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,817 Likes on 1,438 Posts

April motorcycle riding thru Quebec & Ontario ?!? Brother, bring the waterproof & heated gear. I'm 80+-miles south of Alexandria Bay, NY, and I can still snowmobile in April! And stay on the Canadian side in Niagara Falls. Cheaper rooms and more fun than NF, NY.

Quick Reply: Traveling through Canada on financed motorcycle