Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:00 AM
snokrayz
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help

I have a 2008 road glide and I’m running true duals and my right pipe is getting more black than the left one and has more of a high pitch pop sound in it...any thoughts on what the cause of this is?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:35 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

I would assume maybe a tuning issue. Pull your spark plugs and see what they look like too.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:58 AM
snokrayz
Stage IV

I pulled plugs and front one was a little darker and wetter but not much. And i am running a tune that came with my DynaJet Power Vision

Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

You might check and see what map you have in it right now and see if it’s the correct one. Do you have the ability to auto tune?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is no substitute for a proper dyno tune-up to provide optimum performance, after making changes to our bikes. You could also contact Dynajet, to see if they can offer you a better set-up, which could get you closer to running right.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Tune it again that were the problem is you need to find the right setup.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Temporarily remove the tuner. You need to find out if the tuner is the problem or a factory component. Soot is from poor combustion, too rich, whether caused by too much fuel or poor ignition. Removing the tuner will easily check whether you have a spark plug wire starting to break down, a weepy fuel injector, a failing spark plug (swapping plugs would help check that also). You can check every component separately if you want, but if everything gets better without the tuner, then all of those components are performing properly. Any codes? The true duals makes the trouble shooting a little easier from one standpoint, you know the cylinder feeding the right side is suspect and can start there. Popping and roughness can also be caused by lean conditions, so that throws some complication into game. The rich cylinder likely does NOT have an intake leak, while the leaner side might.

How many miles? Do you use top tier fuel? Ever run any fuel system cleaner through it? Is it driven frequently or is it more of a low mileage garage queen that might be getting gummed up from lack of use? Have you done anything to the engine besides adding the tuner?

Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 PM
snokrayz
Stage IV

Originally Posted by btsom
Temporarily remove the tuner. You need to find out if the tuner is the problem or a factory component. Soot is from poor combustion, too rich, whether caused by too much fuel or poor ignition. Removing the tuner will easily check whether you have a spark plug wire starting to break down, a weepy fuel injector, a failing spark plug (swapping plugs would help check that also). You can check every component separately if you want, but if everything gets better without the tuner, then all of those components are performing properly. Any codes? The true duals makes the trouble shooting a little easier from one standpoint, you know the cylinder feeding the right side is suspect and can start there. Popping and roughness can also be caused by lean conditions, so that throws some complication into game. The rich cylinder likely does NOT have an intake leak, while the leaner side might.

How many miles? Do you use top tier fuel? Ever run any fuel system cleaner through it? Is it driven frequently or is it more of a low mileage garage queen that might be getting gummed up from lack of use? Have you done anything to the engine besides adding the tuner?
It has 50k miles and yes I use 91 octane always. Haven’t tried fuel additive, but it gets ride frequently, about 10k miles in the last 12 months, and only engine mods are intake and true dual headers. I did remove the tune and put it back to stock, I didn’t ride it yet to see if the soot problem stops but the weird popping sound is still there which really concerns me.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Top tier fuel has nothing to do with octane rating. There is top tier E10 regular, mid grade and high octane. In some places you can get top tier 100% gasoline in all three grades. Top tier refers to those brands that include a good detergent package that helps keep injectors, intake valves and spark plugs clean WITHOUT additional additives. Go to toptiergas.com for the full information and list of brands. I asked because you may well need injector cleaner at this point if not using the high detergent gasoline. Many like Seafoam, Techron, and I like Berryman's Chemtool. Especially with Berryman's, mix in the proper concentration for the size of your gas tank. It contains toluene and some other nasty cleaners and can cause damage if used in too high concentration.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

As many have said, you need to get your bike tuned, preferably by a good tech on a dyno. Running a stock map with true duals and a hi-flow intake is not good.

Quick Reply: Need help