Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Amps Which is best ??

Old 01-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Mike14SG
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starter Amps Which is best ??

I have read a lot on here about amps and I am trying to decide which way I want to go I am looking to start upgrading my system I want to go 4ch as eventually I am going to add bags. To start with I have a 14 Street Glide budget I am trying to stay within reason but I am also buying this in pieces as to spread out the cost over time so I can have a larger budget. As of now I have Polk MM6502 with tweeters installed in the HogTunes Grill 1 BT355 for the fairing speakers. I am looking I have read in here that is seems to be the consensus that as far as " Budget amps " go there are several leaders Cerwin Vega, Rockford, and Sound Stream. What I am looking for is the best clear quality sound I can get on a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike14SG
I have read a lot on here about amps and I am trying to decide which way I want to go I am looking to start upgrading my system I want to go 4ch as eventually I am going to add bags. To start with I have a 14 Street Glide budget I am trying to stay within reason but I am also buying this in pieces as to spread out the cost over time so I can have a larger budget. As of now I have Polk MM6502 with tweeters installed in the HogTunes Grill 1 BT355 for the fairing speakers. I am looking I have read in here that is seems to be the consensus that as far as " Budget amps " go there are several leaders Cerwin Vega, Rockford, and Sound Stream. What I am looking for is the best clear quality sound I can get on a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Soundstream PN4.1000D is gonna be your best budget amp.

The following users liked this post:
Mike14SG (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Mike14SG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Soundstream PN4.1000D is gonna be your best budget amp.
That is the one I have been looking at but just needed a little conformation. Would it be better to run the speakers Polk 6502 at 2 Ohms wired in parallel on one channel or 4 Ohms on separate channels ? I am still trying to understand the difference as far as audio goes which one is going to produce the better sound? and will this mount in the PN4.1000D mount in the fairing and will it effect the FM reception ?

Last edited by Mike14SG; 01-19-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 AM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

$375 for this one, and its very good!
Amazon Amazon
Also here, but I don’t have any experience with them. But, for $280, you won’t beat it.
https://www.ecmarinesupply.com/produ...nt=45678700490
This WILL NOT effect your radio signal

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 01-20-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Hertz HCP4d great amp can get off ebay for 250.00

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-a...plifier-hcp4d/

Old 01-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

You will have to watch which amp you use if you are not changing out the stock amp tray.
The SS PN4 1000D will require modifications to the stock amp tray to get clearance for the fair i g to go back on. The hertz amps will not fit on the stock amp tray.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Mike14SG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Babyboy
You will have to watch which amp you use if you are not changing out the stock amp tray.
The SS PN4 1000D will require modifications to the stock amp tray to get clearance for the fair i g to go back on. The hertz amps will not fit on the stock amp tray.
What type of mods have to be done ? Ideas pics ? I dont mind doing them to get this amp to fit

Old 01-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

What type of mods have to be done ? Ideas pics ? I dont mind doing them to get this amp to fit
I posted a write up with pictures a while back when I used the pn4 1000d in my bike.
It was about 2 years ago.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:36 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Here is some food for thought. Your amp is probably the biggest $$ you will spend on your system. If you budget buy one now and plan to upgrade later then you have a used amp either sitting on the shelf or sell for pennies on the dollar ending up spending even more than you would have to begin with.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

That is the one I have been looking at but just needed a little conformation. Would it be better to run the speakers Polk 6502 at 2 Ohms wired in parallel on one channel or 4 Ohms on separate channels ? I am still trying to understand the difference as far as audio goes which one is going to produce the better sound? and will this mount in the PN4.1000D mount in the fairing and will it effect the FM reception ?
You have a 14. The Rushmore's do much better with class D amps than the 13 and down bikes. Most guys I know with the Rushmore's maintained their radio reception with the SS amp but there are never any guarantee's with audio. If FM is a showstopper you will have to upgrade to the Arc Moto 600.4 or the Rockford amp Bafflingbs suggested. Are you running the Polk 6502 components?

Last edited by Gannicus; 01-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (01-22-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter Amps Which is best ??