Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear plug recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Buck05
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Ear plug recommendations

I've searched the forum for recommendations on ear plugs that also work for listening to music, but I must be asking the wrong question. What I'm looking for are recommendations for ear plugs that don't block the music (either speakers or headset). I'm looking at a pair of high fidelity ear plugs (recommended for rock concerts), but thought I'd ask the group before I place the order. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

The expression 'ear plugs' refers to protective plugs designed to safeguard our hearing from loud noises, something which we motorcyclists are routinely exposed to. There are many plugs made for industrial and domestic users, even some expressly for motorcyclists.

It sounds as if you're looking for 'ear phones'. There are some brands who make them to both protect your hearing while also listening to music, phone or intercom. Personally Mrs B and I only use an intercom, which includes small speakers installed inside our helmets, while we also wearing ear plugs.

Hope that helps you find what you're after! Someone else will be along soon.....

The following users liked this post:
Buck05 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Go to earpiece.com
I just purchased some plugs from them. They have plugs for motorcycles, concerts, or work related. They have different filters you can put in them to change their characteristics. They block out the wind noise while still allowing you to hear music and ambient noises.

I used to wear regular ear plugs, from work, and they worked well, but had to turn my radio up almost all the way to hear it. Just went on a ride with the earpiece.com plugs and could hear my radio with it only turned up about half way or a little more. But I could hear my buddies when they talked to me. I did not have excessive wind noise, and my ears were not ringing when the ride was over.

They were very comfortable. But i'll admit, I couldn't tell the difference in the filters as I changed them out. 3 different filters and they all sounded the same to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by ddsdoorguy:
Buck05 (01-21-2018), Sc0- (02-05-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Well, I’m a hearing aid user (Widex) and have worked in a machine shop my entire life. Couple that with drag racing Junior dragsters for years (methanol burning straight pipe machines) and my early years of concerts. I have several ear plugs made for me by Westone. They all cost about $150 including molds. They range from full molds, no vents for drag racing. Half molds with large vents for working, to the wind noise reducing ones for the motorcycle. I even have ear monitors for long distance riding and high end stereo reproduction. But I still prefer the motor sports series, half helmet, and listening to music with these (Motosports)

https://www.westone.com/store/defend...r-recreational

The concert series is next on my list to try, as they have interchangeable filters. I might suggest that they would be a great choice for you. The price seems high, but they will last for 5 years or longer, so easy to put in and out, and you’ll forget you have them in actually

For full blown in ear monitors..you can’t beat these triple drivers

https://alclair.com/monitorshop/reference/

Last edited by lyork; 01-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Buck05 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:50 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsdoorguy
I used to wear regular ear plugs, from work, and they worked well, but had to turn my radio up almost all the way to hear it. Just went on a ride with the earpiece.com plugs and could hear my radio with it only turned up about half way or a little more. But I could hear my buddies when they talked to me. I did not have excessive wind noise, and my ears were not ringing when the ride was over
As you found out, the off the shelf workplace ear plugs are typically over 28db reduction, that’s why I hated wearing them. Couldn’t hear people talk, etc. When you get the approropiate earplug for your surroundings, you’ll be surprised at how well you can hear the things you want (music, people talking) but the wind noise and other damaging to your ear sounds are greatly reduced

I’m still in shops daily, and use my hearing loss as an example of why you should protect it. Custom ear plugs are cheap, cheap insurance and so much better than the foamies. You’ll thank me in the long run

The following 2 users liked this post by lyork:
Buck05 (01-21-2018), ddsdoorguy (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 PM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Look for "ear buds" on Amazon. Good ones come with several sizes of silicone attachments to fit snugly in different sized ear canals, and they significantly reduce sound though aren't rated to do so. Correct brand/model for your phone may also have button(s) for volume control, pausing music, skipping tracks, etc just like wired headsets that used to come with all mobile phones.

Buck05 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I bought the ones in a plastic box, with the plastic like cord ,hooking them together,like for work. they are a soft rubbery with rings around ear piece. i put them in my ear at a different depth, till i find where i like them, once you know, you know, drove 400 miles to try them, and worked fine for me. Heard radio, and traffic, but not all the wind noise, felt better after riding also, less ringing in the ear ect. I guess there might be better, but those worked for me, roll em up, and put em in the windshield pouch, in their case

Buck05 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I know I'll get sht on for this comment..

Go to a 3/4 or full face helmet.. You might just protect more than your hearing.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Buck05
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Wind
I know I'll get sht on for this comment..

Go to a 3/4 or full face helmet.. You might just protect more than your hearing.
Even with a full-face helmet,I wear ear plugs. The full helmets (at least the one's I have) don't do an adequate job of stopping harmful noise.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM
skurtenb
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Earpeace.com

Quick Reply: Ear plug recommendations