Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 or 10 in a bag???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts
Default 8 or 10 in a bag???

Ok folks,
So far i'm very happy with how the bike sounds now,,,very loud and clear, I'd just like a little more bass,,,,,not sub 20-40hz, but say maybe 50-250hz. i'm thinking of adding an 8 or a 10 in one of the bags facing the wheel, but need some help choosing the right combo. Bike has a great front end, has 6x9's in the lids with tweet bridges and horns (horns are not on the same channel, just located over the DD vo6x9s). Can anyone give me some direction on a speaker that sounds clear and loud in that range? gonna get another amp just to drive it with so that i can tune it correctly. DSP is coming in the near future so that should give me what i need to dial it in. I've learned so much from my time here, but it was more focused on the rest of the bike, now i just need the finishing touch. (MORE BASS).
I ride this bike a lot, but not really on long trips,,,,plan to set it up that if i need the space, i can swap a different bag in and live without the bass, but for my everyday, I'd like to get a bit more,,,,,the full system list in on the thread about comprehensive member systems if you need to full rundown on the current set up,,,,,but i'd like to think it's pretty well powered and balanced. Please direct me!!!
thanks
marco

Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I dont think there’s enough benefit from doing just one 10....doesn’t sound right. We recommend an 8 in each bag for guys who want to save space.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you put a 8 in the bag you will not have much room for any thing as far as storage so if you want more bass go with the 10.

I went with 8s thinking it would be what I wanted but it isn't quiet there. My problem is I went with American Hard bag mounts that fit 8s. Now I want 10s and the mount and the position that it fits in the bag are different. Think twice about what you are really looking to get and make sure you get it the first time.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:26 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks so far, any brand and model recommendations,,,,,,not opposed to doing an 8 in each bag.
M

Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

You are trying to get parking lot bass, right?

T

Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Keep in mind if you are going to keep 6x9's in the lids you can run into problems with the amount of air the 10's will push and will work against the 6x9's, unless they are sealed. I tried a set of DD VO's in the lids with 10's in the bags, and they did ok at low to mid volume, but was having problems at high volume. I will say the DD's did much better than some others I tried. You can try it and may not have any problems with the 10's, but there is much less chance of having problems with the 8's.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:10 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
You are trying to get parking lot bass, right?

T

Easy fix, just put some JL 8.8's in the lids! You'll get bass, mids and highs!

Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

no T not parking lot,,,,just maybe in the 50-60hz and up on the road,,,,is that not really a non realistic goal? i know that i cant get sub performance at speed, i just need a little more,,,,,not much,,,,,getting my dsp soon so maybe that will help the vo6x9's sound a bit better,,,,,,,,????
m

Old 02-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
no T not parking lot,,,,just maybe in the 50-60hz and up on the road,,,,is that not really a non realistic goal? i know that i cant get sub performance at speed, i just need a little more,,,,,not much,,,,,getting my dsp soon so maybe that will help the vo6x9's sound a bit better,,,,,,,,????
m
I'm a big fan of the stuff in the bags for the parking lot, but if ur expecting bass fill rolling down the road, this is a dry well.

I think ur thoughts about getting the DSP installed and getting the most out of what you have is the right approach.

T

Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I'm a big fan of the stuff in the bags for the parking lot, but if ur expecting bass fill rolling down the road, this is a dry well.

I think ur thoughts about getting the DSP installed and getting the most out of what you have is the right approach.

T
100% agree with this. Parking lot bass is a waste of money to me. I’d concentrate on quality for sound when riding because bass when moving doesn’t happen. There are TOO MANY speakers that will give you phenominal mid bass at speed so I’d go that route and a DSP.

Quick Reply: 8 or 10 in a bag???