Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has done a SEPST auto tune?

Old 02-14-2018, 04:13 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Who has done a SEPST auto tune?

I bought the cables yesterday and plan to run some smart tunes on my Stage 1 Road Glide. The stock Stage 1 download seems good but I've heard from others that the Stage 1 on the M8's really come to life with the SEPST auto tunes. I'd like to hear from anyone that has done the auto tunes and what comparisons you have drawn to the Stage 1 SEPST download. Thanks

Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I’ve done a few auto tunes. Seems to help a little, but not earth shattering. I’m using SE cannons that gurgled when letting off the gas. Seem to gurgle less, but I don’t know how much of this perception is true and due to auto tunes versus me getting used to gurgle. I do like the cannons, there look and sound.

Overall I’ve done 3 or 4 auto tunes and generally increased VE values at various throttle-RPM points each time (which results in more fuel and richer A/F ratios). Now at point of diminishing returns. Glad I did what I did, enjoyed the learning experience if nothing else. Might do another auto tune in the spring.

The bike runs great, but also did so as stock. If local dealer had a deal on stage two cam work, I’d consider it...

The following users liked this post:
GliderXXX (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
I bought the cables yesterday and plan to run some smart tunes on my Stage 1 Road Glide. The stock Stage 1 download seems good but I've heard from others that the Stage 1 on the M8's really come to life with the SEPST auto tunes. I'd like to hear from anyone that has done the auto tunes and what comparisons you have drawn to the Stage 1 SEPST download. Thanks
Just an FYI... "Smart tune"/"auto tune" does not automatically "tune" your bike. "Auto tune" essentially attempts to calibrate the VE tables. Basically it try's to make the "model" for your engines "air" (the "A" in AFR) more accurate. It does not make adjustments to AFR tables etc... As far as the that stage 1 tune you've downloaded goes, the other tables remain the same after "auto tune". The exception is that "auto tune" may (look at the individual tuners documentation) take advantage of the knock sensors (assuming you have them - Sporty's don't) to make minor adjustments to spark to prevent detonation.

So that said... Unless changes in the exhaust/intake were significant and have created sufficient error in the VE tables, you may not notice much difference. So is an "auto tune" going to make the M8 come alive? I might reconsider expectations.

Last edited by T^2; 02-14-2018 at 06:44 PM.
GliderXXX (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Just an FYI... "Smart tune"/"auto tune" does not automatically "tune" your bike. "Auto tune" essentially attempts to calibrate the VE tables. Basically it try's to make the "model" for your engines "air" (the "A" in AFR) more accurate. It does not make adjustments to AFR tables etc... As far as the that stage 1 tune you've downloaded goes, the other tables remain the same after "auto tune". The exception is that "auto tune" may (look at the individual tuners documentation) take advantage of the knock sensors (assuming you have them - Sporty's don't) to make minor adjustments to spark to prevent detonation.

So that said... Unless changes in the exhaust/intake were significant and have created sufficient error in the VE tables, you may not notice much difference. So is an "auto tune" going to make the M8 come alive? I might reconsider expectations.
Ive seen a couple bikes on youtube using it with aftermarket headers. Theres a bike on Matt Laidlaws channel thats stage 4 with a thunder header and they used the Smart Tune and it runs great. I also talked to another guy with slim lines on his bike with smart tune and he said it works great too. I'm wondering if its a way to get around keeping the stock header on, if it is I'll probably be getting one, and if I have a major engine problem ill have the bike sent home and put the stock header back on and bring it in to the dealer. They can tell if its been flashed with something but I dont know how they'd tell there was a different header on it.

Last edited by Kyle Moore; 02-14-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Last edited by Kyle Moore; 02-14-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:33 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
Man. He's really pushing Harley tuners and parts and trashing aftermarket stuff big time near the end of that video. lol

Old 02-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Man. He's really pushing Harley tuners and parts and trashing aftermarket stuff big time near the end of that video. lol

Matt Laidlaw is awesome he thrashes all the bikes he rides haha

Old 02-15-2018, 02:29 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
Matt Laidlaw is awesome he thrashes all the bikes he rides haha
Oh I like his videos. Just struck me how much he seemed to be trying to convince ppl to NOT buy aftermarket parts and ONLY buy harley. Warranty was only one point he made.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:33 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

His family owns Laidlaw HD.

04ctd (05-19-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has done a SEPST auto tune?