Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ridden a bike with Progressive FST AND a bike with Ohlins 25mil carts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:32 AM
dashredder
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Have you ridden a bike with Progressive FST AND a bike with Ohlins 25mil carts?

Hello!

I've been reading quite a bit on the forums on the Progressive FST carts and also the Ohlins 25 mil carts. I'm looking to install the carts in my 15' FLHTK and I'm keeping an open mind. Both seem to be a major improvement over stock, people generally seem to be very happy with what ever they have installed.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to experience BOTH of them and could offer an opinion on how they felt in comparison to each other. Is there much of a difference when looking A to B, vs. A or B compared to stock (which seems to be huge).

Look forward to any experience or thoughts, thanks!

Old 02-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Modo
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 02-18-2018, 02:57 PM
dashredder
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PerFLHXed

That's a nice guide. I like how they compared them and gave you a point of reference in the AK-20s. They just don't include the Ohlins specifically, which I believe they may have actually tested but did not include due to cost/performance? Not sure.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the Progressive monotubes in my 2000 UC along with Ohlins shocks. Big difference over stock but still very stiff. There is no comparison between the monotubes and the Ohlins cartridges on my 16 Limited with Ohlins shocks, also.

The following users liked this post:
dashredder (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 03:19 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Their post is useless, they don't sell Ohlins so make claims that are not legitimate. Buyers should always beware when a vendor gives you comparisons as their job is to sell you. I used Ohlins #3-#3 shocks, Ohlins # 6, Progressive 940, JRi, and Ricor. I've ridden bikes set up for me with Bitubo and Pro Action. Ohlin's #6's are the best hands down followed by Ohlin's #3-#3. In the front I used Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable cartridges, Progressive monotubes and Ricor. All are an improvement over stock but Ohlins is the clear winner. This is from a guy who has spent his own money testing the ones I mentioned and do not sell or am affiliated with any of them. I've also ridden bikes with the 25mm Ohlins and 20mm Traxxion AK-20, Ohlins wins here too.

Last edited by tj316; 02-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tj316:
dashredder (02-19-2018), SoCalHDMC (02-19-2018), whittaker727 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:08 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
I have the Progressive monotubes in my 2000 UC along with Ohlins shocks. Big difference over stock but still very stiff. There is no comparison between the monotubes and the Ohlins cartridges on my 16 Limited with Ohlins shocks, also.
I should have mentioned that my Ohlins carts were from Howard valved for me and the using springs a level lighter than those right out of the box. And no, I am not a lightweight at 205 and the bike is mostly loaded heavy for solo touring. The Ohlins were definitely worth the extra cost to me.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalHDMC (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:05 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I have had progressive Front and 944 . Take a look at legends. Easy to install and set up for the front and rear.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dashredder
Hello!

I've been reading quite a bit on the forums on the Progressive FST carts and also the Ohlins 25 mil carts. I'm looking to install the carts in my 15' FLHTK and I'm keeping an open mind. Both seem to be a major improvement over stock, people generally seem to be very happy with what ever they have installed.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to experience BOTH of them and could offer an opinion on how they felt in comparison to each other. Is there much of a difference when looking A to B, vs. A or B compared to stock (which seems to be huge).

Look forward to any experience or thoughts, thanks!
A one size fits all "progressive spring" is not the direction I'd go. And no ability to change compression or rebound damping. That being said, its has to be better then stock and has a decent price point.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
Their post is useless, they don't sell Ohlins so make claims that are not legitimate. Buyers should always beware when a vendor gives you comparisons as their job is to sell you. I used Ohlins #3-#3 shocks, Ohlins # 6, Progressive 940, JRi, and Ricor. I've ridden bikes set up for me with Bitubo and Pro Action. Ohlin's #6's are the best hands down followed by Ohlin's #3-#3. In the front I used Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable cartridges, Progressive monotubes and Ricor. All are an improvement over stock but Ohlins is the clear winner. This is from a guy who has spent his own money testing the ones I mentioned and do not sell or am affiliated with any of them. I've also ridden bikes with the 25mm Ohlins and 20mm Traxxion AK-20, Ohlins wins here too.
what did you think of the bitubo's ?

Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Interested in this thread....contemplating the options for the front end of my 2011 flhrc. Currently running monotones.

Quick Reply: Have you ridden a bike with Progressive FST AND a bike with Ohlins 25mil carts?