Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge 2003-RKC

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:12 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge 2003-RKC

Where would there be a good place to install an oil pressure gauge that is not in your face conspicuous on a 2003 Road King Classic, that looks like it is supposed to be there and can someone recommend one?

randy

Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Only you can decide what you prefer. H-D offers a round dial and also digital oil pressure gauge kits for your bike, just check the Shop tab on their website. You can also check the installation instructions. They mount on the rear head.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Here what the HD digital oil pressure gauge looks like. It is on my Heritage but would look the same on your RK.

HD Chrome Digital Oil Pressure Gauge

Old 02-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. When you find out how low the oil pressure is at idle...as it is on all Harleys...you will begin to fret about it. You'll start posting about that, and you'll be told that low pressure at idle is normal. You'll still worry about it, and it will ruin your life.

Maybe so and maybe no, but if you're a worrier, OP, you might actually be better without it! Harleys have run down the road for generations with nothing but an oil light.

The following 2 users liked this post by Veekness:
chromepony (02-25-2018), HDPursuit (08-16-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Veekness absolutely. Ive decided anyway not to put one on as I have heat shields right where the mount would be anyway and I'm not about to remove them. I was looking for other places to put them but it had to look right and there really isn't any so it was a thought..........only. Thanks

Randy

Old 02-24-2018, 12:26 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. When you find out how low the oil pressure is at idle...as it is on all Harleys...you will begin to fret about it. You'll start posting about that, and you'll be told that low pressure at idle is normal. You'll still worry about it, and it will ruin your life.

Maybe so and maybe no, but if you're a worrier, OP, you might actually be better without it! Harleys have run down the road for generations with nothing but an oil light.
I agree 100%. DON"T DO IT! You will become obsessed over it and look it every time you stop and occasionally while riding when you should be watching where you are going. Same thing goes for an oil temp gauge.

Now if your into adding expensive do dads that do absolutely nothing to add comfort, performance or ride experience, then go for it!

Old 02-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I agree 100%. DON"T DO IT! You will become obsessed over it and look it every time you stop and occasionally while riding when you should be watching where you are going. Same thing goes for an oil temp gauge.

Now if your into adding expensive do dads that do absolutely nothing to add comfort, performance or ride experience, then go for it!
I think the argument, "if you have it you'll obsess over it", is folklore. That's always the comment when someone asks about oil pressure or temperature gauges. I hardly ever look at mine. Why do I have it? I don't know. It's chrome?

Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Good desl, Randy...the only thing I can add is to just make certain the light sending unit is good, and the oil level is full...but not too full!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I think the argument, "if you have it you'll obsess over it", is folklore. That's always the comment when someone asks about oil pressure or temperature gauges. I hardly ever look at mine. Why do I have it? I don't know. It's chrome?
I was speaking from experience. I put an oil temp gauge on my nightrain and I looked at it every time I was at a stop light. Especially in the summer. Not everyone does or will obsess over it like you but many of us do. That's why I don't do any more gauge modifications or additions because I know how I am. I love my Road King for that reason. Barely use the speedometer and nothing else really to look down at other than the gas gauge.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

My favourite indy would ban oil gauges on Harleys if he could - reckons they are more trouble than they are worth, due to neurosis on the part of owners.....

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge 2003-RKC