Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Speaker and amp install on 15 SG

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default New Speaker and amp install on 15 SG

Hello, as a recommendation from some here I got the MM652s, B52 amp, BK LL, and an amp install kit. I have the bike completely taken apart(fairing and speaker pods etc). I have never done this before but want to give it a shot but have some basic questions. If anyone is willing to help I would compensate them for their time if they have ever done an install like this. For reference its a 2015 street glide. PM me or respond in here and I will contact you. Thanks for anyhelp you can provide and if anyone is in the SoCal area drinks on me! Ride safe

Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Where abouts in Socal?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Originally Posted by sponger
Where abouts in Socal?
Huntington Beach but willing to drive wherever. I can trailer it

Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

So let's start right here. Next thing I would do is start a moc up. Remove your gas tank ( I just loosen it and lift as much as I can) so you can run you power and ground. Try your speaker fitment to see if you need adapters. Did you get a power distribution block and a fuse able link with the wiring kit? If not you will need a fuse holder to add before the amp.
Start doing this stuff and when you need help many people on here will help.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
So let's start right here. Next thing I would do is start a moc up. Remove your gas tank ( I just loosen it and lift as much as I can) so you can run you power and ground. Try your speaker fitment to see if you need adapters. Did you get a power distribution block and a fuse able link with the wiring kit? If not you will need a fuse holder to add before the amp.
Start doing this stuff and when you need help many people on here will help.
Okay, I ran the power from the battery to the front of the bike. that was easy. speakers fit and are direct drop in. I dont know what a power distrubtion block is. what is it? Idk what a fuseable link is.

But the amp kit came with wires and the inline fuse

Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain

Inline fuse (fuzeable link) That goes near the amp. Power block is for stepping down the power wire. If there was a heavy wire Maybe 4ga you would run that from battery to fairing then in to distribution block. From there you would use 8ga wire to the amp (but you would need to add the fuse holder in the 8ga close to the amp. Sorry if I worded it wrong.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain

Some one will have to chime in about installing the LLs as I have not used them.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

so ran wire to the battery and to the amp and the negative. but power light on the amp isnt going on. i would assume that little light would turn on when it got power?

Old 03-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,110 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan42
so ran wire to the battery and to the amp and the negative. but power light on the amp isnt going on. i would assume that little light would turn on when it got power?
you also need to wire the "trigger" wire. The one that is controlled by switched power, like the cig lighter, one that comes on with the ignition. There should be a 2 wire plug near the top of the fairing on the brake side. Should be by the speaker pod and have a blue/ purple wire. You can use that wire for the trigger or tap into the blue/ purple on your accessory outlet.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
Inline fuse (fuzeable link) That goes near the amp. Power block is for stepping down the power wire. If there was a heavy wire Maybe 4ga you would run that from battery to fairing then in to distribution block. From there you would use 8ga wire to the amp (but you would need to add the fuse holder in the 8ga close to the amp. Sorry if I worded it wrong.
Inline fuse should be within 12" of the battery, not the amp.

Not sure why u would wants D Block and 4 awg for one amp. Maybe with 3 amps.

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 03-21-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: New Speaker and amp install on 15 SG