Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Washington/Canada Border Crossings & Route?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts
Question Washington/Canada Border Crossings & Route?

I've crossed at the Peace Arch several times while entering Canada. Twice, there was a little bit of a hold-up, 20-30 minutes maybe? A few times, headed north was a breeze... under 5 minutes. Headed back was a whole 'nother story, but we're re-entering via Montana at Roosville.

Our group has discussed a few things; #1 - Stay off I-5, as much as possible/practical; #2 - Head north via WA-9 and cross into Canada at Sumas or WA-539 at Lynden.

I know very little about travel/traffic on WA-9, or anywhere except coastal highways. Other than having lunch in Lynnwood at a friend's restaurant, we're really in no rush to get to Squamish. We're having dinner with more friends in Squamish... It's what, 4 hours from Lynnwood if we jump on WA-9 south of Snohomish and head north and enter Canada @ Sumas?

Ideas/recommendations?

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Sumas or Lynden are the better options as far as I'm concerned. You get to Hwy 1 in a straight line without having to go thru heavily populated urban areas. And they're usually relatively quiet crossings.
As for #9, from Sedro Wooley to the border is a nice ride in the country. South of that I can't comment.

Last edited by Whiskyjock; 03-21-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added more information
The following users liked this post:
PoiDog (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

9 is a nice road, but lots of slow down places, but even then from Lynwood to the border on it should only be 2 hrs. From there to North Van I would suggest The freeway. There is a HOV lane and bikes are allowed on it.

When you get to around Cranbrook let me know, maybe we can coffee.

PoiDog (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
9 is a nice road, but lots of slow down places, but even then from Lynwood to the border on it should only be 2 hrs. From there to North Van I would suggest The freeway. There is a HOV lane and bikes are allowed on it.

When you get to around Cranbrook let me know, maybe we can coffee.
Looks like it's Sumas crossing and then jump right on Canada 1, as you and Whiskyjock both suggest. That's the plan (for now...LOL).

Got caught in traffic south of, and into Vancouver a few times...

Coffee sounds great.... Gotta put it somewhere on my calendar; or I'll probably forget.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 AM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Depending on final destination in Canada, if you've never done it, consider Hwy 2 across Washington (great scenic ride) as far as Sandpoint, ID ( fun little town) then North into Canada. Or, if that takes you too Far East, head north when you hit 97, about half way through WA State. Takes you up into Pendicton, nice little town on edge of lake and has one strip club, at least it did about 8 years ago.

Last edited by MacTarnahan; 03-22-2018 at 01:12 AM.
PoiDog (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:14 AM
Willi
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what not to do. Was about 100 yds behind a semi. As we approached the Alaska/ Canada border we just kept it at 65 mph or so, then after the semi flys by the border guards come running out telling me pull over and stop. Then these guys are treating me like I’m trying to get away with something. And I said I just followed the semi in front of me,
so after some really unneeded words they took our passports, went into thier office and hung out for 30 minutes. Then they came out, gave us our passports back and we went on our way.
Im not a truck driver but I don’t get how the one I followed flew thru the border and I get busted?

PoiDog (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskyjock
Sumas or Lynden are the better options as far as I'm concerned. You get to Hwy 1 in a straight line without having to go thru heavily populated urban areas. And they're usually relatively quiet crossings.
As for #9, from Sedro Wooley to the border is a nice ride in the country. South of that I can't comment.
I agree depending on where your destination is in BC. But my recommendation is get a NEXUS card. I travel to Canada frequently, have friends that I ride with in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Calgary, and more. NEXUS is like a precheck line at TSA.
I once had friends who rode to Canada with me. They did not have NEXUS, so we rode together through the general border crossing. Never again.

So if you target is Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Sunshine coast, Duffy Lake, Whistler, then NEXUS is your friend. Also the truck crossing is many times faster for general, check the signs or the border app.

If your goal is to Chilliwack, Hope and points East, then Sumas is a better option, Lynden okay. If I take Lynden, I use Huntington to cross over to route 11. Misses a lot of traffic that way.

PoiDog (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Originally Posted by MacTarnahan
Depending on final destination in Canada, if you've never done it, consider Hwy 2 across Washington (great scenic ride) as far as Sandpoint, ID ( fun little town) then North into Canada. Or, if that takes you too Far East, head north when you hit 97, about half way through WA State. Takes you up into Pendicton, nice little town on edge of lake and has one strip club, at least it did about 8 years ago.
We're meeting with some friends in Squamish and overnighting there. Gonna head out the next AM, and the plan is to overnight in Cache Creek. On the way, we hope to be able to fit in the Peak 2 Peak in Whistler since there's a lot of daylight in July. We'll be heading towards Jasper and then south to Banff.

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I agree depending on where your destination is in BC. But my recommendation is get a NEXUS card. I travel to Canada frequently, have friends that I ride with in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Calgary, and more. NEXUS is like a precheck line at TSA. I once had friends who rode to Canada with me. They did not have NEXUS, so we rode together through the general border crossing. Never again.

So if you target is Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Sunshine coast, Duffy Lake, Whistler, then NEXUS is your friend. Also the truck crossing is many times faster for general, check the signs or the border app.

If your goal is to Chilliwack, Hope and points East, then Sumas is a better option, Lynden okay. If I take Lynden, I use Huntington to cross over to route 11. Misses a lot of traffic that way.
I actually thought about NEXUS a few years ago, never figured I'd use it enough, then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Funny thing is.... there's no "interview" location in Hawaii. I emailed US/CBP to ask, but it'll probably be a few days before I get a reply. Here's another tidbit... a TSA Pre-Check card is $85 for 5 years; NEXUS is $50 for 5 years also. But you can use your NEXUS number when booking air travel, and get a TSA Pre-Check... for no additional $$$.

We'll probably just go through Sumas or Lynden and take our chances on being held-up. Then hit Canada 1 west till it gets to 99.

Thanks for the info...

Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

You will probably find Sumas less crowded, most people from Vancouver won’t go that far out of their way to cross. And a nicer road on the South side of the border. Also, in the Afternoon you will be driving against the rush hour traffic. Even across the Second Narrows bridge (Iron Workers Memorial) as it is busier going south than North in the afternoon. Once you get up the hill it will open up traffic wise.

Ok. A word of caution..... do not speed on the Squamish Highway. 40 Kmph over posted and you will loose your bike for a week. If it says 60 Kmph, then run 60 Kmph...... not 60 mph.

PoiDog (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:49 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Ok. A word of caution..... do not speed on the Squamish Highway. 40 Kmph over posted and you will loose your bike for a week. If it says 60 Kmph, then run 60 Kmph...... not 60 mph.
I was given (and heeded) similar advice for Oregon Highways a few years back... "If the sign says 55, don't go 56 !" When I was working, I usually gave a 10mph cushion. LOL... issuing citations were never my thing. I got called on the carpet more than a few times. But, as the saying goes, "When in Rome (or Oregon, or BC, or wherever...), do as the Romans do." I gotta remember to look at the KMPH rather than the MPH on the speedo. BIG difference.

Quick Reply: Washington/Canada Border Crossings & Route?