Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF400x4AD, am I setting it right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts
Question RF400x4AD, am I setting it right?

Hey guys, I’m trying to decide if this is normal. The red input light is flickering. I’ve never noticed it before. It doesn’t matter if I turn the gain down or not. I cannot go above 3/4 volume, without it starting to distort. I know you’re supposed to shoot for 80%, but, I think it sounds like crap if I do. I’ve got it set on high pass, 80hz and about 50% on the EQ. I’ve set the gain while running. And think I’ve got that nailed. I just don’t understand the red light?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:41 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

I just checked all of the connections, and seem fine. Could the line levelers need adjustments? I know you’re not typically supposed to mess with them, but it has to be something coming into the amp, right? If I were to try adjusting them, how?

Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

is it flickering on the input side? if so that is your head unit output max level, before distortion, so keep the HU volume just below that point. if you are flickering on the output side, that means the signal is clipping and distortion wll be there and get worse if you turn it up too far.
after watching your video, you are just beginning to clip on the input to the amp, from the HU, go no further, or back up just a RCH.
Turn you gains up untill the blue on the output just kind of bleands to a purple (from the red clip warning) and see what it sounds like,,,,if not to your liking at that level, back it up another RCH. the output @blue is ok, and even a red flicker now and then on real hard hits is ok, just don't be on red steady!!!
where are you HU eq's set at while tuning? i might add to pick a different sound to work with, some guys like Hotel california, some like Michael Jackson's PYT, there are many others, but try to use something that is very active at first till you get the hang of how the gain led's help you out.
m

The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,162 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Just a thought..... is the head unit bass and treble set to flat (middle of the scale). If not, it should be. If it is, I'm out of other ideas.

good luck with the rest of your install

Bafflingbs (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Yes, the radio EQ was flat. I called RF, and they told me it was normal. I was actually being too conservative on the gain settings. He told me it’s ok to hit the red now and then on output, just don’t let it “live there”. Anyway, thanks for responding guys. It was my first time retuning since changing my rear speakers. It really sounds great now.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I'm glad you're liking that amp.

Bafflingbs (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
When it does not clip from trying to squeeze every ounce of watts possible out of it, it really is a nice amp!!! Lol!!!

I honestly do think it's a 2 channel bridged amp on a sled.

Gypse says his Speaks play warmer with it but if ur throwing 50-75 Watts less at a Speaker, the result is most likely gonna be a warmer sound. 100 Watts per speak is just not a great place to be with the environmental **** kicking u get on a sled, unless ur running 97+ SPL.

Just sayin!!!

But damn glad ur happy with ur current results. All that really matters is that the guy twisting the throttle is digging his tunes.

T

Bafflingbs (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 12:28 AM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Lmao!

Originally Posted by Tailwind
When it does not clip from trying to squeeze every ounce of watts possible out of it, it really is a nice amp!!! Lol!!!

Gypse says his Speaks play warmer with it but if ur throwing 50-75 Watts less at a Speaker, the result is most likely gonna be a warmer sound. 100 Watts per speak is just not a great place to be with the environmental **** kicking u get on a sled, unless ur running 97+ SPL.

Just sayin!!!

But damn glad ur happy with ur current results. All that really matters is that the guy twisting the throttle is digging his tunes.

T
i know there’s better guys, but I’m not entering contests, and my ears already bleed.... huh?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:55 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind

Just sayin!!!

T
You make a good point T. I believe that the more watts you throw at a speaker, the more you will get out of said speaker especially on higher end speakers. I don't proclaim to be any kind of expert and not up to par with the new technology as it evolves but I am learning. I can remember installing jensons amps with mtx 5.25 in scooters and that was about the best you can get. I also have used a bunch of pbr amps as they were the best you could get at one time. My goal is to hear my tunes at 70+ as most of us want. The tm400 sounded warmer but not enough for my ears at 70. That is the reason I got the focal sport amp. As I stated before everyone hears differently and if Baff is happy with his setup then that is all that matters. In my old age, this new technology on sled audio has become a hobby for me as I have already changed front speakers on my 2018 3 times and the rears twice. I value the opinions from you, bates moto mike and gann as you guys are up to speed with the boom system and are the experts. Hell I bought a set of ts6900's (tw6900 as I call them) because of reading your thoughts about them. To me they didn't sound as good as the mpx 690.3's I had but I had to give them a try. I also got a set of wdx 6 motos and I do like them better than the mpx 165.3's in the front. I, like most who come here, come to learn and share what they have learned from you and the other experts. I thank you for our expertise.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Bafflingbs (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 05:16 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
You make a good point T. I believe that the more watts you throw at a speaker, the more you will get out of said speaker especially on higher end speakers. I don't proclaim to be any kind of expert and not up to par with the new technology as it evolves but I am learning. I can remember installing jensons amps with mtx 5.25 in scooters and that was about the best you can get. I also have used a bunch of pbr amps as they were the best you could get at one time. My goal is to hear my tunes at 70+ as most of us want. The tm400 sounded warmer but not enough for my ears at 70. That is the reason I got the focal sport amp. As I stated before everyone hears differently and if Baff is happy with his setup then that is all that matters. In my old age, this new technology on sled audio has become a hobby for me as I have already changed front speakers on my 2018 3 times and the rears twice. I value the opinions from you, bates moto mike and gann as you guys are up to speed with the boom system and are the experts. Hell I bought a set of ts6900's (tw6900 as I call them) because of reading your thoughts about them. To me they didn't sound as good as the mpx 690.3's I had but I had to give them a try. I also got a set of wdx 6 motos and I do like them better than the mpx 165.3's in the front. I, like most who come here, come to learn and share what they have learned from you and the other experts. I thank you for our expertise.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

need to start a sticky for wives of unicorn chasing husbands and a format for conducting interventions. My wife is already worried. 😎

Quick Reply: RF400x4AD, am I setting it right?