General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone NOT wear a helmet at all?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
That's what I thought. I just didn't realize the cost of motorcycle registrations was enough to merit consideration.

Just paid $158 to renew the tag on a 2013 Fatboy Lo in Alabama.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,738 Likes on 5,864 Posts

Just a little something that has a little to do with the cost of lost registration fees. And some other stuff.

FOR THE RECORD, no one is saying helmets don't provide safety benefits. They do. But, there is also evidence that there are safety risks. Unlike seat belts, there is little data on the effects of a helmeted body in motion from a bike crash.

Officials often state that helmet laws reduce accidents. A helmet cannot stop an accident. But... a helmet law does reduce riding. Per the DMV, California has 40% less bikes registered today then in 1992 when the state enacted its helmet law! And of those that continue to ride... they ride less often. The math: less bikers riding less often = less targets for cars to hit, which therefore = less accidents.

Instead of confusing the public with gross accident statistics that have no relation to the ability of a helmet to provide enough safety to even think about a mandate, many Officials don't quote, or even know, whether helmets have had an effect on the ratio of the number of deaths from head injury as related to the number of accidents. That is the stat you want to know!

Recently, a number of states have modified helmet laws to permit motorcyclists to ride without a helmet if they carry specific health insurance coverage or pass a rider training course. Other "partial" helmet-use laws, such as those requiring only certain age groups to use helmets, have unknown effectiveness because of enforcement issues. These approaches dilute the original reasons for the law and may raise confusion about the usefulness and role of helmets.

So why all the disinformation? Follow the money trail. The life insurance industry can't control their car drivers from hitting us, but they can control the number of targets their drivers can hit by backing helmet laws that reduce riding. This all dovetails nicely with the prejudice and propoganda against motorcycling.

We're seen as anti-social, public burdens, scofflaws, "scary", etc. instead of energy and road space efficient travelers that contribute millions of dollars to the economy and charities of every type. Take a recent Maryland "study", for example, that refers to beanie helmets as "**** style". WOW! Then there's the ever present public mindset; since football players, astronauts and racers wear them, we're crazy not to. If only it were that simple.

Call ANY helmet manufacturer and see if you can get a straight answer whether their helmets cause neck injury or protect your head at speeds over 15 MPH. Try it...

Officials don't tell you how many neck injuries are caused by helmets. When air bags were found to hurt and kill children, NHTSA aggressively studied the situation and determined that they are, in fact, safe "if" used correctly, but that they can kill if not. As a result, air bags are not mandatory and can be disconnected legally. This begs the question, since there are cases where riders have sustained neck injury from their helmet, why isn't this being studied so that we can once and for all, ALL know the pros and cons of helmets. Like air bags, helmets should be a matter of freedom of choice.

The next time someone is in your face about helmets, quote Snell to them:

"A helmet that can take one of our headforms through these 2 impacts unscathed could probably handle a single impact somewhat greater than 17.3 MPH, but certainly no more than 23 MPH." - Snell

The best way to protect yourself is take an approved motorcycle safety course, maintain your bike, wear leathers, wear eyewear, ride responsibly and above all:

Don't Drink, Drug and Ride...

The following 3 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
DaveE (05-01-2018), Mysftail (05-01-2018), Sling Blade 14 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 623 Likes on 388 Posts

No helmet law here in Illinois. There was a time when I rarely saw a Harley rider with a helmet. Today, half the riders I see wear one, half don't. Gotta believe its due to the increased number of cages on the road and distracted drivers.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,738 Likes on 5,864 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
No helmet law here in Illinois. There was a time when I rarely saw a Harley rider with a helmet. Today, half the riders I see wear one, half don't. Gotta believe its due to the increased number of cages on the road and distracted drivers.
Nah, there are just more doctors and lawyers riding nowadays.

The following users liked this post:
Advocatus Diaboli (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

reduce accidents
Remember, in mandatory states every motorcycle death involved wearing a helmet.
I love the polarizing nature of this subject- it's like the gun debate on what you need and don't need. Boots or tennis shoes is another good one.
If we stuck with "Let those who ride decide" we'd be better off.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sling Blade 14:
BTLorys (05-01-2018), DaveE (05-01-2018), Redoilokie (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14

Remember, in mandatory states every motorcycle death involved wearing a helmet.
I love the polarizing nature of this subject- it's like the gun debate on what you need and don't need. Boots or tennis shoes is another good one.
If we stuck with "Let those who ride decide" we'd be better off.
I agree to an extent. Here's my hang up...

A buddy I went to school with became a EMS tech. When the party was about to wind down he'd break out his pictures of the sh*t he'd seen. Guy who blew his head apart with a shotgun. I say apart because off isn't really what happens. A flipped Miata with two 100 yard blood trails down the road behind it. All kinds of sh*t you never want to see but he sees every day.

How do you sleep after seeing crap like that? I couldn't.

I don't really wear a helmet for myself. I wear it for the EMS guys who have to clean up the messes we make.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I wear one where the law requires it. I'm lucky enough to live in a state where it isn't mandatory. I'll also throw on my beanie helmet if I think my riding is riskier than usual, an example would be an early morning ride to work on a crowded highway for example. Faulty logic I know, but it works for me

Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

The 3/4 and FF have sun visors and that's useful some days.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
I don't really wear a helmet for myself. I wear it for the EMS guys who have to clean up the messes we make.
That's collectivism the insurance-medical cartels push- my individuality and freedom ends when it affects another.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:12 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14
That's collectivism the insurance-medical cartels push- my individuality and freedom ends when it affects another.
No, I didn't say you had to.

I said, I have to.

Almost feel strongly enough about it for collectivism but feelings have no place in policy.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-01-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone NOT wear a helmet at all?