Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid droplets on gas tank 2015 fltruse

Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 PM
motorsgt8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid droplets on gas tank 2015 fltruse

I am getting fluid droplets on the right side of my tank when riding. It does not appear to be brake fluid. I had the master cover replaced and it is dry. When the dealer replaced it though the mechanic said he took apart the switch housing on that side and there was fluid inside there. His thought was that a cleaning product loosened up grease inside? It continues now even though he said he dried out as much as he could. I checked hoses for brake lines, radiator etc. all are dry. Any ideas what this could be? very frustrating, just glad its not dot 4 brake fluid.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't follow the cleaning product loosening grease inside what the brake/hydralic reservoir? That doesn't make total sense to me. With all of the various cleaning, polishing products people use, i think that is a stretch.

I have heard over tightening the screws on the reservoir can cause leaking issues, does your model have water cooled heads, reservoir would be on that side.

Generally, if the engine oil is overfilled it can drip Down on the right side of the engine etc., but i guess it could blow up, never saw that tho, is it oil?

Just offering a few possibilities.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 04-22-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:01 PM
motorsgt8
Advanced

Oil is halfway on dipstick, and I did not feel anything on the air filter. It has the stock cvo filter set up. It appears to be a thicker than water fluid. Does anyone know if by chance brake switch has grease in it and me be cracked and leaking?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:03 PM
motorsgt8
Advanced

It is water cooled but the hoses appear to be dry.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by motorsgt8
I am getting fluid droplets on the right side of my tank when riding. It does not appear to be brake fluid. I had the master cover replaced and it is dry. When the dealer replaced it though the mechanic said he took apart the switch housing on that side and there was fluid inside there. His thought was that a cleaning product loosened up grease inside? It continues now even though he said he dried out as much as he could. I checked hoses for brake lines, radiator etc. all are dry. Any ideas what this could be? very frustrating, just glad its not dot 4 brake fluid.
Its engine oil (crankcase ventilation) coming from the bottom of your air filter cover. Run your finger along the bottom of the AF cover and you should get some fresh Fluid Droplets.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...r-cleaner.html

Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 157 Posts

If it is not from blow by from the air filter area, maybe fork oil?
Check your fork caps on top, 1 3/8 I believe is the size.

Last edited by timbo141; 04-23-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:14 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't take ANYTHING said by a H-D "tech" very seriously, if I were you.

Find the problem yourself & fix it. That's the only way you'll know that it's actually fixed right and that no damage was done to your bike in the process.

Last edited by jpooch00; 04-23-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

OP; Snap some pics of your tank so we can see where these drops are on the surface...top, bottom, front, back...

Old 04-25-2018, 08:17 AM
motorsgt8
Advanced

Thanks for the help. Looks like GWAXLEY was correct. I took apart the air cleaner yesterday and there was oil on bottom of the air filter. Lowered the oil level and took it for a ride and no drops yet.

Thank you again.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:31 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Thanks for the help. Looks like GWAXLEY was correct. I took apart the air cleaner yesterday and there was oil on bottom of the air filter. Lowered the oil level and took it for a ride and no drops yet.

Thank you again.
Put an external breather kit on, and you can run your oil at the full mark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fluid droplets on gas tank 2015 fltruse