General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson CEO: Bold Actions to Boost Performance Coming This Summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:49 PM
Timbo64
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson CEO: Bold Actions to Boost Performance Coming This Summer

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...mpany-14564776

Harley CEO Matt Levatich says the actions will be "bold", but in keeping with Harley's mission to cultivate the next generation of riders.

Levatich: We are progressing to that plan and we are excited about that product (electric motorcycles). We continue to see electric vehicles as a tremendous opportunity. These motorcycles are easier to ride than bicycles, they lend themselves to urban environments where our product is maybe less targeted or less suited. They are suited to a generation of people that don't have the mechanical depth of experience that maybe boomers had with manual transmissions and clutches.

"It's a mindset shift, a cultural shift within Harley Davidson. Not a company and a dealer network focused on building bikes and selling bikes, but of one on a quest to build new riders and keep existing riders riding longer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have any idea about what Harley's electric motorcycle is going to actually cost when it hits the market..$12,000...$15,000...$20,000?

Last edited by Timbo64; 04-24-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,028 Likes on 871 Posts

This existing rider will be riding a long time yet, but it will never be on an electric bike. I've been disappointed year after year. They've been behind the curve for a long time. I just hope they can see around said curve. I hoped for a good sport touring bike unlike anything they've ever made, since back in the 90's. Looks like Polaris is headed down the same road HD has been on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jed Clampett:
Almostinvincible119 (04-26-2018), kap1 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a feeling that this is going to be a bust for Harley.

Millennials aren't going to fork up the prices Harley most likely will be charging for these. Even with the partnership with Alta, I don't think Harley is going to put a price tag on electric motorcycles that will be "millennial friendly."

The Harley brand probably doesn't mean much to most people 35 and under now-a-days and that makes up most, if not all of their proposed "New generation of rider" they want to capture. That group of riders will want an e-cycle that is pocket friendly.

Will Harley be willing to look themselves in the mirror and realize millenials aren't going to pay for the HD brand name and price themselves accordingly?

Last edited by DC4MVP; 04-24-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Oh look! Another “Harley’s gonna implode thread!”..

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:40 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,769 Likes on 6,204 Posts

The best part is they don't have to worry about making an oil pump that works.

The following 2 users liked this post by RHPAW:
captbob (04-26-2018), Iron lHorse (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,468 Likes on 2,369 Posts

Not trying to be a Neanderthal jerk but as long as the world continues down the road of condemning boys for being boys and girls for being girls- the sound, weight, and feel of the old school V-twin is gonna be something people will learn about in the Smithsonian. There should be a "Celebrate Your Gender" parade.. AND SOON!

nick@nite (04-26-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,189 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by doer
Not trying to be a Neanderthal jerk but as long as the world continues down the road of condemning boys for being boys and girls for being girls- the sound, weight, and feel of the old school V-twin is gonna be something people will learn about in the Smithsonian. There should be a "Celebrate Your Gender" parade.. AND SOON!
yeah, think you're off base there. there are a lot of women riders, and the demographic is increasing every day. got nothing to do with gender.

read the interview, saw lots of words, but really didn't have a clue as to what he was saying.... why can't these people speak plainly, instead of all cryptic?

katanaplanet (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I actually think the younger generation wants a HD just like I did when I was young. The problem is the same too. They can't drop 20K on a motorcycle and they don't want that crappy 650 thing that HD is producing for beginners.

I know two 25 year old kids that are looking at older Sportsters and Dynas. The issue is that they can buy a good Yamaha Bolt for 6K or a used 883 for 8K or maybe a Dyna that they probably will have to learn to work on.

If they are different than us old dudes at all, it's that they don't dive right in to learn to fix their own bikes. They know that the Asian bikes are generally bulletproof and they are easier to afford.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo64
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...mpany-14564776

Harley CEO Matt Levatich says the actions will be "bold", but in keeping with Harley's mission to cultivate the next generation of riders.

Levatich: We are progressing to that plan and we are excited about that product (electric motorcycles). We continue to see electric vehicles as a tremendous opportunity. These motorcycles are easier to ride than bicycles, they lend themselves to urban environments where our product is maybe less targeted or less suited. They are suited to a generation of people that don't have the mechanical depth of experience that maybe boomers had with manual transmissions and clutches.

"It's a mindset shift, a cultural shift within Harley Davidson. Not a company and a dealer network focused on building bikes and selling bikes, but of one on a quest to build new riders and keep existing riders riding longer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have any idea about what Harley's electric motorcycle is going to actually cost when it hits the market..$12,000...$15,000...$20,000?
I watched the video and listened to what the CEO had to say. To me it sounded hollow. I do not think he hit the mark. It is about the bike, not about the rider. Or, maybe its about the bike and the rider.

I think the most important thing for Harley is to find a way to make a great bike at a lower price. We all know that when we buy a Harley we are paying too much for it, but we choose to do it. Why? For me its because some things are priceless and many times my bike gives me a feeling that is priceless. What ever that "priceless" feeling is, Harley needs to build it into the stock bikes. That way they hook new riders immediately.

Last edited by BobRR; 04-24-2018 at 10:36 PM.
ole_phart (04-26-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,665 Likes on 6,679 Posts

I've been in the Bay Area for the last couple days & seen quite a few young riders on club-style Dynas.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson CEO: Bold Actions to Boost Performance Coming This Summer