Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:42 PM
stevek
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brakes

Sorry if this issue has been done before, I bought some Russell sped bleeders for my 2001 FLSTCI. Got new DOT 5 silicone brake fluid from the dealership. Needed to change the brake pads on the rear so I figured I would bleed the fronts first. Good thing, the brake fluid was a yellow/ brown color. Bled the front until I had no air and the lite purple colol of the new fluid through the whole system. Now I'm starting to feel a bit addled. I have no resistance in the lever. It's totally squishy. I'm not sure were I went wrong, but I've done brakes on this bike before and not encountered this problem. WTF! Any suggestions that will help would be much appreciated. I'm starting to think I should have left the old bleeders in.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:30 AM
Madduc
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try putting your old bleeders back in and re-bleed your brakes. Lever return to normal?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:31 PM
stevek
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madduc, did as you suggested, reinstalled the old bleeder and re-bled the brakes. Got back some of the brake feel but it still feels mushy compared to before I did anything. Maybe I'll try bleeding it some more later or tomorrow when I have more time. I've run just about a whole bottle of fresh fluid through it.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 PM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

Not to be a smart *** but what type brake fluid is stamped on your reservoir cover? DOT5 might be the wrong type.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by jkinner
Not to be a smart *** but what type brake fluid is stamped on your reservoir cover? DOT5 might be the wrong type.
Here...Save this somewhere you can reference it in the future

2018 Listing

Old 05-20-2018, 10:10 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd try having someone pump the lever a few times then hold it in....crack the bleeder open then tighten it back up....release the lever an pump an see if it changed. I used a mini vac last time I changed fluid.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Madduc
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another odd "trick" to try....take your brake lever and get sort of pissy with it, basically slap it on and off several times. Then take a zip tie, shoe string,etc... and hold the lever back to the grip/bar. Leave it on over night. See what morning brings.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Madduc
Another odd "trick" to try....take your brake lever and get sort of pissy with it, basically slap it on and off several times. Then take a zip tie, shoe string,etc... and hold the lever back to the grip/bar. Leave it on over night. See what morning brings.
I had to do this the last time I flushed my front brakes on my '94. I'd never had this trouble before, but last year I couldn't get a firm lever no matter what. I used a couple of BIG rubber bands to hold the brake lever down overnight. By morning the lever was nice and firm. Apparently a small air bubble got trapped somewhere.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I had to do this the last time I flushed my front brakes on my '94. I'd never had this trouble before, but last year I couldn't get a firm lever no matter what. I used a couple of BIG rubber bands to hold the brake lever down overnight. By morning the lever was nice and firm. Apparently a small air bubble got trapped somewhere.

This what I had to do. I used a zip tie on the lever and left it over night. The next morning I was good to go.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:09 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Pressure bleeder via Motive Power

OR

Mighty Vac vacuum bleed

I have not used my Motive Power pressure bleeder on a Harley yet, but on cars it is THE way to go. I think the Mighty Vac is probably a "better" way to go on a bike as its more controllable.

Quick Reply: Brakes