Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed my MSF course this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:28 AM
SCGamecock
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passed my MSF course this weekend!

I have never had any type of formal riding training. Up until now I was a self taught dirt bike and sport bike rider. I learned a good bit of things I either did not know or was doing wrong. I passed the skills test although I still struggled a little with tight right hand turns and of course the U-turn especially to the right!! I still am not getting my head around far enough and holding it high and still staring at that last damn cone on exit!!! I aced the written exam. Although I already have my endorsement it was still very worthwhile to take the course.

I am a little worried about how my new skills and knowledge will translate to my Ultra Limited. The training bikes were small HD 500cc models. They were light and much more maneuverable even though at 6'4" 250 I looked like a monkey sitting on a football!!! There was a Ride Like a Pro class this past weekend that I had been considering but I am glad now I took the 4 day MSF class first. I'm not ready for the RLP class, I don't have enough low speed maneuvering confidence yet. Hopefully I will gain that with more seat time and parking lot practice.

I recommend to anyone new or experienced to take this class. There were several long term riders that struggled on some skills. Also, the class is $350 but now through September 1st it costs $99 for Active duty service members, veterans, Fire and Police. That made it even more worthwhile to take! Go to the HD website and fill out the promo offer and they will send you a coupon code to take to the dealership. Even spouses get the discount. I think my wife will be taking the class.

The following users liked this post:
OkieBill (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Great move. I returned to riding 15 years ago after a 27 year break. While I kept my motorcycle endorsement all those years, I still took the MSF basic course and a year later the advanced course. One hour into the basic course I realized I knew nothing and without the training I might have killed myself. You sound as though you're committed to constant learning and improvement. Ride safe and enjoy.

The following 2 users liked this post by nj08SEUltra:
braxdad10 (05-21-2018), SCGamecock (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

If you really want to test your skill on that big Ultra check out the Ride Like a Pro videos. The type of stuff police officers have to learn. They do things that you would think should not be possible with a bike that big.

The following users liked this post:
SCGamecock (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM
SCGamecock
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nj08SEUltra
Great move. I returned to riding 15 years ago after a 27 year break. While I kept my motorcycle endorsement all those years, I still took the MSF basic course and a year later the advanced course. One hour into the basic course I realized I knew nothing and without the training I might have killed myself. You sound as though you're committed to constant learning and improvement. Ride safe and enjoy.
You were like me. I am back on a bike after the same amount of time. I am a lot more cautious now!

Originally Posted by cprhed
If you really want to test your skill on that big Ultra check out the Ride Like a Pro videos. The type of stuff police officers have to learn. They do things that you would think should not be possible with a bike that big.
I almost took the RLAP class first. I'm glad I didn't though. I wasn't ready for it. I plan to attend it in the next few of months though. In the meantime I have been watching the video's. Its amazing what these guys can do on such big bikes. The class is only 4 hours so I am a little concerned at getting use to the maneuvers on my bike in such a short amount of time. It took the first day for me to get the hang of all the exercises. The second day I was much more comfortable. But it is amazing what you can do when its not your bike and it has big crash bars on it. :-)

Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats taking the MSF class.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Yep. I sold my Ultra to a motorcycle cop who is one of the best in this tight turns discipline. He won lots of competitions nationwide. He owns a riding school in Pgh and it blows my mind what he can do. Lots of practice needed to reach this level for sure. Check ProRider Pittsburgh on Facebook. His profile picture on the top left is him on my former bike.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

The class is only 4 hours so I am a little concerned at getting use to the maneuvers on my bike in such a short amount of time. It took the first day for me to get the hang of all the exercises. The second day I was much more comfortable. But it is amazing what you can do when its not your bike and it has big crash bars on it. :-)[/QUOTE]

AHA!!! You're a pretty sharp cookie! It didn't take you long to find out ANOTHER difference between us mere mortal riders and the MotorCops. They learned on their CITY/COUNTY/STATE issue bikes. If they tore anything up, their Dept fixed it....all under the umbrella of training. Unfortunately, we have to PAY out of our own pockets what WE tear up and get fixed. If anyone doesn't think that has an effect on your mind when you are leaning that bike and turning a U-turn. So OUR training comes along a LITTLE slower than the COPS. LOL!!

Old 05-21-2018, 12:21 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

OH, BTW, CONGRATS on passing your course MSF!
And you noticed folks that had been riding quite a while didn't have the skills they thought they had. LOL!
It's like RLAP Palladino says when he said to an instructor that he had 20 yeARS of experience. The instructor corrected him and said " NO! You have ONE YEAR of experience, repeated 20 times"

Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Congrats, I got an insurance discount for taking that class. In addition, I got $50 bucks from HOG or HD can't remember which.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:13 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Smart move taking the course. I'm a firm believer in the MSF program for ALL riders. They were required every 3 years when I was on active duty and I always left the course with many good takeaways and some sharpened skills.

Quick Reply: Passed my MSF course this weekend!