Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Pirelli Angel GTs

Old 05-21-2018, 11:12 AM
DevilsRightHand
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone tried Pirelli Angel GTs

Has anyone tried the Pirelli Angels on a dyna? I'm going to have some lighter aluminium wheels built at some point and was looking at available tires. First I was thinking 21x3 up front but noticed there are only a few good choices in 120/70-21 and they are obviously cruiser tires. I have run ME880s before and liked them but I have run sport touring tires on all my sport bikes and they stick like glue. The Angels kept popping up on all the best of lists and I noticed they and a few others are making some offerings in 19" to cater to the dual sport/adventure crowd. I am probably going to have my wheels built up with wider than stock hoops but it seems like the 110/80-19 and 170/60-17 would be a pretty good set up for bikes with stock 19/17" wheels.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Hoges
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the angel GT's will be excellent on the dyna in those sizes you mentioned.
Ive got the GT's on my XR1200 and they are brilliant in all conditions.
On my LRS I thought the oem Michelin Scorchers were very average particularly on wet roads, so next I tried the Night Dragons and took them back off in a thousand kilometres as I didn't like them at all, they lacked grip in wet and dry.
Was sick of hard as rock bias ply tyres that have no compliance and feel and went and fitted radials.
Im now on my third set of Conti Trail attack 2's and they are brilliant for hard riding and last decent Klm's. I'm getting 11,000 klm's out of a set.
I think any of the radials in the above sizes will make a huge difference to handling, grip and confidence when pushing in the bends.
A lot of blokes base their tyre choice on mileage they can get out of them and are willing to sacrifice grip and safety, where as I prefer to have good quality grippy tyres in all conditions and not too concerned on mileage, at the end of the day it's cheap insurance to finish a day's ride upright.
I will never put bias ply tyres on my dyna again.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 PM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoges
I tried the Night Dragons and took them back off in a thousand kilometres as I didn't like them at all, they lacked grip in wet and dry.
I'm on my 3rd set of Night Dragons, they grip fine for me in dry. If I can go around a sweeping corner at double the "recommended" speed scraping the peg I'd say they stick just fine. In wet conditions however...I've had a few slips.

At the end of the day it depends on riding style and conditions. What works for one may not work for another. Pirelli does have a rebate going on right now though, $50 gift card if you buy a set of tires from a qualified dealer (I got mine from RevZilla).

Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Hoges
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your right tyres are like an oil thread, everyone will have an opinion, tyres are also much more of a mental thing, if you have confidence in them the all is good.
To defend the Night Dragons, the set I purchased here from the Pirelli dealer in Australia were already 4 years old and probably were past their best, the other thing was I fitted the 180 on the rear as it is made for a 4.5 inch rim but when fitted the tyre is very rounded like a sports tyre on a sports bike, you will never get near the edge on a Harley and I think this profile does not suit the dyna I think it prefers a much flatter profile tyre, in hindsight I should have just gone for the stock 160 size and maybe it would have been better, but I was disappointed with the wet grip and found them almost dangerous to ride on.
This is were radials are so much better on wet and cold roads plus they are more compliant in ride quality on rough roads.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM
DevilsRightHand
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been corresponding with Andrei at hdwheels and I think I'm going to end up with a 19x3 up front and a 17x5.5 in the rear. I really wanted a 6" rear wheel so I could run a 190/55 as its a little closer to factory height but I have adjustable shocks so I can easily account for a slightly shorter tire. Looking at available sport touring tires I'll end up with a 120/70-19 or 110/90-19 and 180/55-17 in the rear.