2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment always starts on radio. Can you change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 PM
tkuligowski
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Infotainment always starts on radio. Can you change?

I use Bluetooth on the bike everyday while out on the road for music and guidance from Google maps for audio prompts. My bike will not just start playing music again when I turn it back on. I have to go to home, media, and select my phone again. It's a pain but I've gotten used to it. When I use a USB stick it will go straight to that after turning the bike back on. Besides going through these steps to recommend my phone every time the most annoying thing is it just defaults to the radio. I hate that. Especially when I turn the bike back on far from home and just get some loud *** static playing from my radio.

Can you change it to default to nothing or default to the home screen on startup? I cannot find anything in the manual except saying it will try to reconnect to the last source.

The following users liked this post:
Peak Seaker (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 11:12 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 368 Likes on 279 Posts

I seem to recall this being an issue that was fixed in a software update. Have you tried to update your Boom!?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:31 AM
tkuligowski
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
I seem to recall this being an issue that was fixed in a software update. Have you tried to update your Boom!?
Im on the latest update!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Mine will reconnect most times, then again, it sometimes defaults to the radio which I never use. Not sure what causes it but it’s been happening through the last few updates for me.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

What i have found, i haven't updated in a year or so, don't know the number, but about 3 updates ago. I'm using the last update that lets you check your oil pressure with the radio off.

I always turn my radio off (and last device used is an old ipod) before shutting down the bike.

I use an old 6 gig ipod in the juke box, that is what i am on before shutting down the radio. By doing that my radio, after i turn it on will default to the old ipod, because it is wired, no delay, no pairing, turning etc.

When i used Sirius, as the last media device, and the bike was outside so it could get a signal, it would default to Sirius, the last device used.

Blu tooth takes a minute to be recognized pairing etc, so if that was my last device, it is possible, by the programming of the the boom (delay to pair) to default to a radio, Sirius, FM etc.

Naturally, any of the above could be different based on the last 2 or 3 updates that i have purposely not installed.

My suggestion is get a USB stick, or an ipod, not with a rotating disk, they crash, put it in the juke box, use it before shutting down bike/radio and it will probably default to it rather than another device.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

If I am using xm when I shut the bike down on restart it will go to media, and xm if I shutdown when using media last.

I have given up trying to fix it.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:45 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,150 Likes on 7,983 Posts

Originally Posted by tkuligowski
I use Bluetooth on the bike everyday while out on the road for music and guidance from Google maps for audio prompts. My bike will not just start playing music again when I turn it back on. I have to go to home, media, and select my phone again. It's a pain but I've gotten used to it. When I use a USB stick it will go straight to that after turning the bike back on. Besides going through these steps to recommend my phone every time the most annoying thing is it just defaults to the radio. I hate that. Especially when I turn the bike back on far from home and just get some loud *** static playing from my radio.

Can you change it to default to nothing or default to the home screen on startup? I cannot find anything in the manual except saying it will try to reconnect to the last source.
If my music app is open on my iPhone X the boom will go right to my music and if the music app is closed on my phone the boom opens to the radio.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,150 Likes on 7,983 Posts

And it's the same way with my Chevrolet pickup.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you're using Bluetooth it takes a bit of time to connect once you turn the ignition on, I think maybe that is why it switched to radio because on initial power up it's not finding a Bluetooth device to connect to.

I know mine used to always go to the radio from whatever source I was on, I did a software update and it fixed that if I was on USB but still seems to do it from Bluetooth.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm on the newest firmware, and it didn't fix the issue that I have been having pretty much since I got the XM module installed: my bike decides on it's own to change the source to XM despite the fact that I shut the bike off when the MEDIA source was my choice. And it's a thumb drive plugged into the USB port, so I know it's not waiting to connect to Bluetooth so it defaults to something else. The most annoying aspect is that the behavior is totally random. And it is especially irritating when I have the volume at the level that I can hear the USB drive (the files are all "normalized", so I have to use a bit more volume), but XM starts instead: and it is BLARING. Not that I'm averse to loud rock-n-roll, but there are times I don't want to have my eardrums pummeled because the idiot programmers can't or won't put out a product that actually works right.

Quick Reply: Infotainment always starts on radio. Can you change?