Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm I The Only One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I'm I The Only One?

How many riders here over 60 are thinking about giving up riding because of the distracted drivers you encounter daily and the increasing fatality rate of riders?

A guy was killed on the road right behind my house last Sunday by a guess what, a car turning that "didn't see him".

I know I'll get some flack for posting this but I'm sure I'm not the only one with these thoughts.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

It's definitely a problem for bikes, cars, and everyone. I'm not considering it for myself. But I'm trying to talk one of my life long friends from starting to ride. I figure he can be talked out of it then he probably should start riding this late in life. For the rest of us, we can't be talked out of it.

Last edited by ronaldrwl; 06-24-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 AM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I’m only over 30 and there’s a motorcycle fatality almost every day here in SoCal where I live and ride. Mostly crotch rockets weaving in and out of traffic but the amount of disgraced drivers I see has to play a role. When I’m on the bike I just assume that no one sees me and ride accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
DanDeleted (06-26-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,444 Posts

NOPE! Now if I hit another whitetail with the bike, well....maybe.I'll be 62 in Sept.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

whether im on my bike or in my truck/car I get cut off regularly so it is what it is the difference is while on the bike I can see better and react a little quicker..
the be honest if you are feeling leery then you need to sell the bike or park it for a while as you may overthink/over react and cause yourself a problem

Old 06-24-2018, 10:39 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

.Cell phones have changed how I look at other drivers and what I’m looking for. I think the depth of distraction is deeper, but I’m not so sure the frequency of distraction is higher.

These days, I don’t see nearly as many women staring in there mirror, putting on makeup. Nor do I see maps or newspapers on the steering wheels. Something I used to see regularly. I can’t think when I last saw a woman pulling off pantyhose or a man struggling out of his jacket and tie while driving.

aggression and anger seem to have gone up. Ramming sand shootings were rare. Today, they aren’t as rare. Though truthfully, they still are rare.

it has changed my riding habits. As has aging probably. For I’m not so convinced of my invulnerability as I once was. I don’t ride to work these days because the commute sucks. The pleasure to risk balance has to be more strongly skewed to pleasure than it used to be.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I just turned 60 last week. Of course I'm leery of todays traffic but I cant imagine stopping riding anytime soon. I don't live in a big city so I don't know what that would be like. When I ride through a congested area I just think no way could I live like this. Enjoy doing what you like but just be as careful as you can. Life is quickly getting shorter for us.

Last edited by Gozzie; 06-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

That happened to me 42 years ago when I was 17 years old. Motorcycles are just hard to see. I don't see myself quitting anytime soon.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I am over 60 and identified the problem-a LONG time ago!
People have always had no respect for MC riders, way B4 cell phones, but they do make it a lot worse.
Next-I have taken up some pretty evasive piloting habits as countermeasure , but I a not quitting.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:21 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Took the bike out today for the first time in a month. About 75 miles with very light traffic on my scenic ride.....

Only issue was with another motorcycle, ridden by a local outlaw member who passed the truck behind me in a no passing zone, passed me on the right in my lane and then passed the car in front of me in a no passing zone.

I guess Sunday's are the best days to ride in SC near the Charlotte border and it's no surprise but without the tour pak on the bike, it handles a hell of a lot better......

I got to find me some local riders who want to go out on Sunday's I guess.......The HOG Chapter does their rides on Saturdays when the traffic is horrendous.

Quick Reply: I'm I The Only One?