Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded sporty, bought SGS

Old 07-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Traded sporty, bought SGS

Had an 17 Iron w/1200 stage one since last May. First Harley. Went up to my dealer last weekend to buy some new googles, and ended up trading in my Iron that I just finally finished modding, as I could not resist the lure of the SGS. One ride is all it took. (Plus a good deal). Picking it up this week after they install my two-page, expensive list of mods.

So I hope this is not a really stupid question, but... after saying good buy to all th nice folks in the Sportster forum am I in the right place? What I mean is should I be posting in Touring Models, M8, or Rushmore? The SGS is all of the above, so I’m really not sure. Any guidance is appreciated.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

The M8 forum is an engine forum. Meaning questions about the M8 engine. Please dont post questions about what footpegs to get, that belongs in the Touring forum.

Congrats on the new bike, you will be completely thrilled with it for sure. Ride safe!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Congrats man! What are you having them add?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Congrats man! What are you having them add?
I am having them add all the stuff in my new signature, plus I went back there and spent another $700 on little stuff like transparent paint guard, saddlebag organizers and travel bags inserts, QD pass backrest & luggage rack, derby cover, smoked lenses, custom shift linkage, etc... I am also having them remove the hell shifter.

There only two little things I can't decide on:
1) Do I want to go with highway pegs mounted on the crash bar, long or short angle, or change the crash bar to a Lindbar type, or live without them and just use the floor boards? I used the highway pegs on my Iron, (below), all the time, (but Iron's don't have floorboards), My legs are short, (29" inseam), and I'm 5'7". I was worried that if I got the Lindbar, my feet would not reach the footrests on the top of the bar, and on the HD angled peg mounts & pegs, will they be out to far? And if mounted closer, will I not be able to reach them because of the brake pedal? Mostly, they just look a little clunky clamped on there. Any suggestions?

2) This whole windshield pouches don't work with wind splitters thing is just plain odd. Are wind splitters, (an HD product), not popular? Why would there not be a windshield pouch solution for the most popular bike, with a very popular windshield?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keithhu
The M8 forum is an engine forum. Meaning questions about the M8 engine. Please dont post questions about what footpegs to get, that belongs in the Touring forum.

Congrats on the new bike, you will be completely thrilled with it for sure. Ride safe!
Thanks for that info. So what would be the difference between the Touring Models section and the Rushmore section? Isn't the SGS both? Or is Rushmore just for years '14 - '16? Sorry for my ignorance on this. I just don't know the history.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,997 Likes on 12,901 Posts
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
Thanks for that info. So what would be the difference between the Touring Models section and the Rushmore section? Isn't the SGS both? Or is Rushmore just for years '14 - '16? Sorry for my ignorance on this. I just don't know the history.
Its a complete mess if you ask me.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Do I want to go with highway pegs mounted on the crash bar,...or change the crash bar to a Lindbar type,
...... if you change to a Lindbar, you'll not be able to install lowers

I am also having them remove the hell shifter.
........ why ? If you want more room on the footboard, Get an extended shift lever. A heel shifter on a bagger IS Harley Davidson
........ enjoy that new ride, get back to us in a few thousand miles & let us know how it's all workin'

Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts

Had an 17 Iron w/1200 stage one since last May. First Harley. Went up to my dealer last weekend to buy some new googles, and ended up trading in my Iron that I just finally finished modding, as I could not resist the lure of the SGS. One ride is all it took. (Plus a good deal). Picking it up this week after they install my two-page, expensive list of mods.

So I hope this is not a really stupid question, but... after saying good buy to all th nice folks in the Sportster forum am I in the right place? What I mean is should I be posting in Touring Models, M8, or Rushmore? The SGS is all of the above, so I’m really not sure. Any guidance is appreciated.
you have to post in the queen's of the road section.just kidding.congrats on the new bike.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts
Thumbs up look at that smile!

Congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traded sporty, bought SGS