General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Love/Hate relationship with Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts
Default My Love/Hate relationship with Harley Davidson

Love:

I love how embraced HD is with the aftermarket community. Buying a bike is always an exercise in restraint with me when it comes to modifying it.
I love how much society has bought into the HD culture, mainly because of how prolific their dealer network has become. No other brand comes close.
I love they look. The classic lines combined with a retro-modern aesthetic is very appealing, like they were able to combine modern with classic successfully.
I love how the feel when going down the road. For some reason the rough refinement of HD keeps drawing me back in, even though there's many bikes out there that just do it better on paper.

Hate:

I hate how embraced HD is with society. Nobody's a wolf if everybody has one. You wanna be a wolf, buy a Ural.
I hate how they can't seem to design anything new without some huge issues for the first few years.
I hate how many times I've sold one only to return a year or so later for one of the reasons above.
I hate how I can't just buy one and enjoy it the way it is!!! I just gotta **** with it somehow, then keep ****ing with it until I'm bored and sell it.

Ultimately, I love the new Low Rider and Street Bob, I hate the M8's teething issues. I realize there's a substantial chance mine would be just fine, but I'm not willing to take that chance until at least the aftermarket has a 100% solution.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mattbastard:
beanoboy (07-14-2018), Hey Man (07-14-2018), Roadflyer (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,665 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Ultimately, I love the new Low Rider and Street Bob,
I could never own a bike named Bob. I just can't get past the name. And if there's a Street Bob, where the hell is the Dirt Bob? Harley has the lamest names for their bikes, IMO....

Old 07-14-2018, 01:39 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,179 Likes on 11,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I could never own a bike named Bob. I just can't get past the name. And if there's a Street Bob, where the hell is the Dirt Bob? Harley has the lamest names for their bikes, IMO....
I reckon the name Bob comes from Bobber.

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
Hey Man (07-14-2018), Mattbastard (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,665 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I reckon the name Bob comes from Bobber.
I figured it wasn't Robert. Still a lame name for a bike,though.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Love:

I love how embraced HD is with the aftermarket community. Buying a bike is always an exercise in restraint with me when it comes to modifying it.
I love how much society has bought into the HD culture, mainly because of how prolific their dealer network has become. No other brand comes close.
I love they look. The classic lines combined with a retro-modern aesthetic is very appealing, like they were able to combine modern with classic successfully.
I love how the feel when going down the road. For some reason the rough refinement of HD keeps drawing me back in, even though there's many bikes out there that just do it better on paper.

Hate:

I hate how embraced HD is with society. Nobody's a wolf if everybody has one. You wanna be a wolf, buy a Ural.
I hate how they can't seem to design anything new without some huge issues for the first few years.
I hate how many times I've sold one only to return a year or so later for one of the reasons above.
I hate how I can't just buy one and enjoy it the way it is!!! I just gotta **** with it somehow, then keep ****ing with it until I'm bored and sell it.
Im with you on most of this list.

I love the aftermarket support. If you desire it, its available. even though I keep my bike mostly stock, I like having options.

I love the look. Nothing else looks quite right. If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, then the rest of the cruiser market is flattering to Harley. Some bikes may be better than Harley in different areas, but none give the full package that Harley does. Ive had the imitations, now I have the real deal.

I hate the stigma that comes with Harley (difference between Hoover and Harley, the position of the dirtbag...). We arent all pirates chasing from bar to bar. Yes I wear a good portion of the Motorclothes lineup, but I go more for the stuff with the heritage bikes, and not the "Skulls & Flames" crap.

This ties in with above, but I'm not a fan of the attitude that Harleys and Harley riders are better than everyone else. We all ride, we all came from somewhere, we all have different tastes. Im not a fan of the sportbike or BMW crowd for many of the same reasons. (cant we all just get along)

I do like how the MOCO supports its owners. While many do not like HOG, it is rather unique in that the manufacturer has dedicated resources to the owners of its products. While there are downsides, the sense of community is unique, and in my opinion, appreciated. There are dedicated riding organizations for most marques of bike, but none are supported by the manufacturer and dealers like Harley does. (When is the last time you heard of a "Ride Home" for Goldwings..... I was a wing rider for years, and NEVER heard of one)

Old 07-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I could never own a bike named Bob.
Imagine how some guys must feel when they climb on a fat boy !!!

The following 3 users liked this post by Hey Man:
GREENOHAWK69 (07-17-2018), mctraveler (07-14-2018), ole_phart (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Nobody's a wolf if everybody has one. You wanna be a wolf, buy a Ural
Sorry man, I had to laugh at this. Owning a motorcycle, no matter the brand, makes a person a “wolf” lol.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

Sorry man, I had to laugh at this. Owning a motorcycle, no matter the brand, makes a person a “wolf” lol.

Or more often than not, a sheep in wolf's clothing. Now a lion never lets anybody know he's a lion until it's too late.

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-14-2018 at 03:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
Carl '69 (07-15-2018), Mattbastard (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 03:01 PM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Or more often than not, a sheep in wolf's clothing. Now a lion never tells anybody he's a lion until it's too late.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I love the way a Harley looks, feels sounds and more especially the feeling one experiences when riding one. I have owned many different makes and models. No other bike has ever given me the riding thrill this bike does.

I hate the division of riders out on the road in today's environment. Years ago the common bond and respect was stronger between riders than it is in today's environment.

I passed a guy last week on the side of the road on a Goldwing. I thought he was broke down and possibly needed help. I made a quick u-turn and headed back.

I came up beside him on the shoulder and pulled up next to him and asked if everything was alright. Turns out he had only stopped to make a phone call. He didn't thank me for stopping only laughed and said "That new hog will break down long before this old wing will."

I said "You never know, ride safe" and burned off. You meet the nicest people on Honda's.

Last edited by Cbyway; 07-14-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: My Love/Hate relationship with Harley Davidson