Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Regulator out again

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:02 PM
Ratbag67
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Voltage Regulator out again

2011 Street Glide V&H true duals, Big Louies, K&N air filter (stock football), FP3. (A little over 50,000 miles on the odometer)

Ok, went for a ride today and noticed that my volt meter on my dash climbed up and and stayed at 16 volts. Immediately I started thinking voltage regulator. "Great, this will be the second one."

Then I started thinking to the last time this happened and basically the entire charging system had been affected. I spent a couple of days, on the road, waiting on parts and replacing my stator. Got a lot of good help on that one from the guys here on the forum. Thanks again for all the help.

Now, it has been in the upper 90's with heat indexes of 105-110°. So it is possible that my battery is going...
So, here's my plan of attack on this one:
Pull the battery and have it tested
Open my inspection cover and take a whiff (easy stator test)
Grab my book and test the stator and then the voltage regulator.
Handle whatever the problem(s) may be.

My question to the enlightened is this, is there a better voltage regulator than what HD sells? I've shown "love" to the MC once, but if the voltage regulator has gone out again... Hate replacing inferior with inferior.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:21 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I recommend these http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Also, check out their technical section for troubleshooting tips.

The following users liked this post:
oldhippie (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 04:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Before you spend any money diagnose the problem and identify the actual cause of your problem! I'm not sure when canbus came in, but there are instructions for older bikes in the Tech Electrical section for checking the charging system. You will need a multimeter.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:43 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Do you have the cheap dash volt meter?
dont trust that, get a better volt meter and confirm.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Your battery will not cause a reading of 16 volts. Having it load tested is not a bad idea but won't be your problem.
As was said, do the charging system checks to be sure but I suspect you will find the regulator has failed.
I'm currently on my 2nd HD regulator and if/when it fails I'll replace it with the cycle electric one.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

*To operate properly, the regulator must be WELL grounded. The diode responsible for regulation is constantly shunting excess to ground.

As mentioned, measure from the positive battery terminal to ground with the bike running. The measured voltage should be around 14VDC regardless of RPM.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I second the Cycle Electric. Made in Ohio, cost more than the stock Harley VR but worth it.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 AM
31scout
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

IF your voltage regulator is bad, I'll third the recommend for Cycle Electric. I have used two over the years and they hold up just fine and are cheaper than the foreign made Harley product. Cycle Electric are made in the USA.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

I have the CE voltage regulator that hangs above the oil cooler. Keeps any additional heat off of it.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Before you spend any money diagnose the problem and identify the actual cause of your problem! I'm not sure wheng canbus came in, but there are instructions for older bikes in the Tech Electrical section for checking the charging system. You will need a multimeter.
BINGO! GRBrown and I are of like minds. You can throw money at it all day, and still not solve the problem. Gotta start with proper diagnostic procedures. Don't count on guesses unless you just like throwing money at it.

Quick Reply: Voltage Regulator out again