General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool HD Dealership - mini museum

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:40 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default Cool HD Dealership - mini museum

I was riding home on a long trip from back East to home in Indiana last Sunday. Got of US 24 in Napoleon, OH for a quick break and noticed a Harley Davidson dealer sign. Pulled in for a quick stretch and noted that the dealership was open on Sunday. Went in and looked around. Wonderful staff (service and sales), great conversation, and a mini-museum. The dealership was founded by a guy who served in WWII, taught motocycle riding in the army and was in the Normandy invasion in 1944. I believe he started the HD business in 1962. Unfortunately he has passed away, but he left a wonderful legacy that lives on. There is a veterans' pavilion out back with lots of picnic tables and is used for events. There is a mini-museum inside the dealership that is really unique. A number of old bikes (probably 10 or so), all 1962. Large, small, even a HD scooter. Lots of racing posters, medallions, old cans (including Harley Davidson beer cans), large HD knives, you name it. All of it in perfect condition. I know it's out of the way a bit, but you should consider stopping in Napoleon, OH to see this place. Large dealership, really cool museum!

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Sportster:
BluesStringer (05-19-2019), Gazzalodi (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Historic HD in Topeka, KS has a pretty massive museum as well.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 AM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...that's one dealership still on my list to go see. I'm probably 2.5 to 3hrs away.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 AM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A group of us head to Ohio a couple times every summer. We ride along the Maumi river through Waterville, Grand Rapids and stop in Napoleon at Napoleon HD. Great place, we always stop in for an hour or so and look around.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:11 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Dudley Perkins in San Francisco has a wall of motors and several old bikes in a walk thorough, museum layout. One of the coolest dealers I've been to

Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Cool - thks! Some dealers have nice little additions. Frontier HD in Lincoln, NE had a mini-museum on 2nd floor. Unfortunately someone vandalized it a few years back so it's now controlled access. I still like going there and looking around tho.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,052 Likes on 11,067 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Dudley Perkins in San Francisco has a wall of motors and several old bikes in a walk thorough, museum layout. One of the coolest dealers I've been to
I think DP was sold, dealer is called something else now. Not sure if the museum is still there. Twizted should know.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Hope this link works...great family dealership and mini-museum...going there again for next month's road trip !!!
I couldn't make this a link so just google Kersting's...they're in Indiana.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 07-24-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: tried to make it a link
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sportster
I was riding home on a long trip from back East to home in Indiana last Sunday. Got of US 24 in Napoleon, OH for a quick break and noticed a Harley Davidson dealer sign. Pulled in for a quick stretch and noted that the dealership was open on Sunday. Went in and looked around. Wonderful staff (service and sales), great conversation, and a mini-museum. The dealership was founded by a guy who served in WWII, taught motocycle riding in the army and was in the Normandy invasion in 1944. I believe he started the HD business in 1962. Unfortunately he has passed away, but he left a wonderful legacy that lives on. There is a veterans' pavilion out back with lots of picnic tables and is used for events. There is a mini-museum inside the dealership that is really unique. A number of old bikes (probably 10 or so), all 1962. Large, small, even a HD scooter. Lots of racing posters, medallions, old cans (including Harley Davidson beer cans), large HD knives, you name it. All of it in perfect condition. I know it's out of the way a bit, but you should consider stopping in Napoleon, OH to see this place. Large dealership, really cool museum!

The dealer started in a small shop in town and has been built up to what is is now. They are one of the dealers to put on your list to see. Awesome owner and staff and will call you by name after a visit or 2. They have been either a silver, gold or platinum award winner for years as have the other dealerships owned by the same man. There are 2 dealers a whole lot closer to me and I always ride to Napoleon Harley Davidson for anything.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Buddy Stubbs HD in Phoenix, AZ has the best dealer museum I've seen.

The following users liked this post:
Crazy (05-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Cool HD Dealership - mini museum