2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 water/ coolant pump. Kuddos to black hills Harley.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:20 PM
RoadKingDan
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 water/ coolant pump. Kuddos to black hills Harley.

Wife and I were on way to sturgis today, We stopped at Devils Tower to camp last night. About 2800 miles in so far.
When wife started up her 15 TriGlide, the dreaded check engine light and high temp lights came on. Of coarse she did not tell me this until about an hour later.
Engine temp was 350F. Radiator was as cool as could be. Fans came on with test. Figured it was water pump. Drove 20 miles to gas station keeping temp amd rpm as low as possible. Did some more troubleshooting and everything pointed to water pump ( 13k miles on trike).

Filled up with gas. About 60 miles from Black Hills Harley dealer. ( monday of Sturgis rally).
Cruised down I90 keepng rpm <2500 so speed was about 65. Speed limit 80. ( I hate being passed by semis).
About 5 miles after getting on I90. I notice my 15 Limited (17k miles) was running a little hot then the CEL and high temp light came on.
What are the odds? water pump on both bikes goes out with in 25 miles of each other.

Then a downpour starts and we limp into black hills harley dealership. we put them in line.
Had a few nice conversations with staff. Enjoyed the festivities and left to find a place to stay.
We dropped them off at 2:15.
Got a call at 8:30 that trike was done. Bad water pump. $667 total.
Got a call at 8:40 that limited was done. Bad water pump. $667. when I commented on both going out on same day, I was told by dealer service rep that he was not surprised with the number that they replace.

While it sucks that this happened, I must say that I could not have been happier with the service and quick turnaround given by Black Hills Harley. Yes I know it is a simple fix, But to get it in and out and back on the road same day was completely unexpected.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 PM
HarleyMan58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RoadKingDan,

That's awesome...Can't beat great service...Now, go out and have a blast!!!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:52 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I'm glad y'all were able to get back on the road so quickly and kudos to Black Hills Harley-Davidson for helping that happen. Since this is your first post, you're probably not aware of all the water pump failure posts on this forum, but do you know if they installed the newer pump some have been saying is in the pipeline? If so, do you have the part number for it?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Hopefully they gave you the defective pumps that they removed. There's a thread on this forum that details how to fix them and they'd make good spares in case of future failures.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I'm glad y'all were able to get back on the road so quickly and kudos to Black Hills Harley-Davidson for helping that happen. Since this is your first post, you're probably not aware of all the water pump failure posts on this forum, but do you know if they installed the newer pump some have been saying is in the pipeline? If so, do you have the part number for it?
About a week ago I called a local Denver-area dealer and asked about updated pumps & part numbers. He checked and said that the part numbers haven't changed or been updated nor have the pumps themselves. The originals are still available for shipment from the MoCo, and he had 3 on the shelf for $467 each, if I was interested.

Since essentially all of the Rushmores are out of factory warranty by now, I'm sure the MoCo ain't doin' **** to fix the design defects in them (not that they ever would have, anyway) and they're just pleased as punch to keep selling the same ol' grossly-overpriced-junk pumps to their customers from here on out.

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-07-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
About a week ago I called a local Denver-area dealer and asked about updated pumps & part numbers. He checked and said that the part numbers haven't changed or been updated nor have the pumps themselves. The originals are still available for shipment from the MoCo, and he had 3 on the shelf for $467 each, if I was interested.

Since essentially all of the Rushmores are out of factory warranty by now, I'm sure the MoCo ain't doin' **** to fix the design defects in them (not that they ever would have, anyway) and they're just pleased as punch to keep selling the same ol' grossly-overpriced-junk pumps to their customers from here on out.
Well, see, that's about par for the course. One dealer says one thing and another dealer says a different thing. There were posts in other threads that dealers were saying they can't restock pumps because there are none available from H-D and that they're waiting for redesigned pumps.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:44 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

well.... with the ages of those bikes.... warranty or not... the Moco should be picking up the tab. all mfg ers of vehicles have a lot of problems with theses modern day plastic shitty pumps they are putting in vehicles..

Old 08-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I think the longer trips plays a big role in these pumps going out. I think they get too hot and melt the connections and they then there done. I no I'm not happy with HD over this at all but what are you going to do, buy Indian ??

Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Black Hills Harley saved me at the 2010 Sturgis Rally - had me and my '08 CVO Ultra back on the road in 2 hours after my my slip-on lost a clamp and nearly fell off. I will never forget their kindness and effort.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I think the longer trips plays a big role in these pumps going out. I think they get too hot and melt the connections and they then there done. I no I'm not happy with HD over this at all but what are you going to do, buy Indian ??

yea , no.... you havent much chioce ..... i just think they should cover a major item like that,,,,, that fails no where near what would be considered a reasonable life span for the part..that being said.......... really do not like the fit and finish on those Indians....Polaris is however making a better run at it than any other company that bought the rights to that tank emblem....Indian went out of business in 53' ...... there hasn't been a real Indian produced since then and probably never will be..... but thankfully , people are stupid and have no clue...

Quick Reply: 15 water/ coolant pump. Kuddos to black hills Harley.