Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Should I be concerned?

I am trying to not get sucked into the Oil migrating and Sumping paranoia. I have a 2017 TG bought new in Aug17. I have 8700 miles.
I took it in for the 5 K at 5900 miles and had them put syn3 in all three holes.

I check my oil weekly and have hesitated to add unless required. I check cold and being a trike, use the upright scale on the dip stick. Last week I checked and noticed that the oil was under the add mark. I added Syn3 oil just to get it back on the hashed area. It took 16 oz.

I have absolutely zero indication that the engine is burning oil. No white smoke. No oil film in exhaust pipes. And of course, no oil leaks.
Am I to assume that that oil went to another chamber? Primary? Transmission?

At 10K I will be taking it in for the oil change/service check. I want to have my ducks in a row if I am to start an investigation.

Is this worthy of concern?

Old 08-15-2018, 03:58 PM
neon65
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull your primary cover and see if oil runs out. Put a pan under the primary, just in case. If no oil comes out, check the level is at the bottom of the clutch pack.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by neon65
Pull your primary cover and see if oil runs out. Put a pan under the primary, just in case. If no oil comes out, check the level is at the bottom of the clutch pack.
I hope you mean the derby cover or he will have a big mess..🤪

Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM
neon65
Cruiser

Originally Posted by golfblues
I hope you mean the derby cover or he will have a big mess..🤪
Yep, derby cover. Had primary on the brain.....Thanks

Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM
neon65
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
I am trying to not get sucked into the Oil migrating and Sumping paranoia. I have a 2017 TG bought new in Aug17. I have 8700 miles.
I took it in for the 5 K at 5900 miles and had them put syn3 in all three holes.

I check my oil weekly and have hesitated to add unless required. I check cold and being a trike, use the upright scale on the dip stick. Last week I checked and noticed that the oil was under the add mark. I added Syn3 oil just to get it back on the hashed area. It took 16 oz.

I have absolutely zero indication that the engine is burning oil. No white smoke. No oil film in exhaust pipes. And of course, no oil leaks.
Am I to assume that that oil went to another chamber? Primary? Transmission?

At 10K I will be taking it in for the oil change/service check. I want to have my ducks in a row if I am to start an investigation.

Is this worthy of concern?
After reading this again, this is the symptoms of the engine not returning all the oil to the top cavity. Try idling the engine for a few minutes before shutting it down. This was suggested on another forum to get the oil pump to suck the oil out of the bottom of the engine (assuming there is any there) and depositing it back where it belongs. Hope this makes sense.

The following 2 users liked this post by neon65:
HDDOC (08-18-2018), SpringerRider (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 05:05 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Just a thought but did the dealer who did the oil change add their normal amount of oil or compensate for the remote oil filter? I know that it's not 16 oz extra for the extra lines and filter but it could explain some of the missing oil.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ord sgt
Just a thought but did the dealer who did the oil change add their normal amount of oil or compensate for the remote oil filter? I know that it's not 16 oz extra for the extra lines and filter but it could explain some of the missing oil.
I agree with this, even though despite re-reading the OP's post several times, I cannot see where he said he had installed a remote oil filter. My point isn't to call that out, but to agree that there might be another reason for the oil being low, as suggested by OrdSgt.
IMHO only, unless you checked the oil regularly after the 5k change, and know it was filled properly at that time, I would fill properly then ride till the 10k service and observe closely what the oil level does. (This after the check of the primary level, as suggested above, of course.)
Unless you changed the oil yourself the last time or confirmed level after they did it, you don't know if it was filled properly, whether or not you have a remote filter or another reason for an added amount of oil being required which a tech may have missed. I also suggest photographic documentation of what you do to show the dealer. (Oil dripping out of the primary when the derby cover is removed, for example.) It saves a lot of diagnostic time, not to mention removes skepticism on their part. (Been there, done that.)

Last edited by LS Bob; 08-17-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

"skepticism"

Very politically correct description of what might/could be experienced when MoCo refuses to correct the issue.

They used words like "abuse" and "mods" when I had my turn to seek remedy.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:35 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
"skepticism"

Very politically correct description of what might/could be experienced when MoCo refuses to correct the issue.

They used words like "abuse" and "mods" when I had my turn to seek remedy.
Very true. My experience was less dire than a potential sumping issue or other engine problem. The techs did not believe that an oil leak was even happening as I described it. (Rear of the trike when 1 week old.) I showed them a picture of the puddle under the rear near the wheel and it convinced them that the shock was leaking, or at least to take the time to check it out. Turned out, both new rear shocks needed to be replaced as defective.
I understand being skeptical when customers describe an issue that doesn't seem logical or I haven't seen. I could tell you hours of stupid **** customers whined about with lawn and garden equipment from my days managing a Sears service center. Any time a customer had proof (i.e. pictures) of why they hadn't done something stupid to their lawn mower it helped get them the warranty coverage in many cases.
Pictures of an overfilled primary would fit this. Not irrefutable, but definitely advances the conversation beyond "are you sure this is happening?"

Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob
I agree with this, even though despite re-reading the OP's post several times, I cannot see where he said he had installed a remote oil filter. My point isn't to call that out, but to agree that there might be another reason for the oil being low, as suggested by OrdSgt.
IMHO only, unless you checked the oil regularly after the 5k change, and know it was filled properly at that time, I would fill properly then ride till the 10k service and observe closely what the oil level does. (This after the check of the primary level, as suggested above, of course.)
Unless you changed the oil yourself the last time or confirmed level after they did it, you don't know if it was filled properly, whether or not you have a remote filter or another reason for an added amount of oil being required which a tech may have missed. I also suggest photographic documentation of what you do to show the dealer. (Oil dripping out of the primary when the derby cover is removed, for example.) It saves a lot of diagnostic time, not to mention removes skepticism on their part. (Been there, done that.)
Not sure where the remote oil filter came from. Mine is completely stock. I did check and record the oil level immediately after the 5K. It was in the upper half of the hashed area. For a period of time, it seemed to be holding steady. I actually posted way back how I was one of the lucky ones because my oil level was holding steady. When I noticed it lowering, I decided I would not add any until it went out of range. It seemed to start to drop about 1500 miles ago.
I'm not ready to sound the alarm. At 10K, I will point it out.

The following users liked this post:
Dirtslinger103 (08-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Should I be concerned?