Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midmount Rear Brake Pedal 'Loose'

Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 PM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Midmount Rear Brake Pedal 'Loose'

I have a 2008 Street Bob w/ a rear brake pedal that is 'loose'. What I mean by this is it is really wiggling around on the pin that is attached to the mid-mount peg mount. The pin itself can move axially in and out of the peg mount a little bit, and, the brake lever itself can slide on the pin (it looks like there should be an e-clip to axially constrain it, but there is not). Also, there appears to be radial clearance between the brake lever and the pin.

I do have a service manual but the closest figure that I can find is for the rear brake master cylinder, which does show the brake lever, but not the pin that it mounts to. This does not look that as if it is that hard to get to, but I was hoping to see a figure w/ all the parts in the service manual.

Although this does not seem like an imminent safety issue (parts loose, but constrained and the lever cannot bind up), the 'looseness' is only going to get worse so I want to address it ASAP.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I use Ronnie's HD for parts drawings. Click on the parts finder and the drawing should answer your question.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

The brake pedal just rides on the "pin" sticking out from the mid mount. It uses a wavy washer to take up the slack and then it's held in place by a circlip. It's possible that your circlip came off

Old 08-16-2018, 05:31 AM
MMH
Tourer

Originally Posted by misfitJason
The brake pedal just rides on the "pin" sticking out from the mid mount. It uses a wavy washer to take up the slack and then it's held in place by a circlip. It's possible that your circlip came off
Using the HD parts drawings (such as ronnies mentioned above) I see a lockwasher and a clamp called out. The lockwasher appears to be where the wavy washer would be and the clamp appears to be just a c-clip. I may have to go to a HD dealer and look at some mid mounts myself & figure out which (if any) of my parts are missing

Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

Better yet. Why don't you just post some close of pics and we will tell you what's wrong

Old 09-12-2018, 07:21 PM
MMH
Tourer

Figured out what the problem is - the big was dropped (not by me, I bought the bike not too long ago) and the pin that the brake pedal rotates around and is attached the the bracket is loose on the bracket. Must have been damaged when the bike was dropped. New bracket on order and problem will be resolved!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:21 AM
MMH
Tourer

Originally Posted by misfitJason
This is what happened. It looked like the pin that is integrated into the mount itself was loose because the plastic bushing that is between the pedal and pin split and half of it migrated out making it look like the pin itself was loose. I drove the bushing back in and replaced the circlip and all is tight. In addition to being split, the bushing is severely wore and should be replaced. I cannot find a PN for this bushing in the Harley Service Parts catalog. Can anyone get me a part number?

Old 09-23-2018, 10:17 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
This is what happened. It looked like the pin that is integrated into the mount itself was loose because the plastic bushing that is between the pedal and pin split and half of it migrated out making it look like the pin itself was loose. I drove the bushing back in and replaced the circlip and all is tight. In addition to being split, the bushing is severely wore and should be replaced. I cannot find a PN for this bushing in the Harley Service Parts catalog. Can anyone get me a part number?
I think the MoCo named the bushings as "bearings" (#14 in diagram below). The part # is 33708-94, 2 needed @ $1.99 ea.

~

Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 AM
MMH
Tourer

Originally Posted by O-Town D
I think the MoCo named the bushings as "bearings" (#14 in diagram below). The part # is 33708-94, 2 needed @ $1.99 ea.
~
Thanks! I kept thinking that 14 was the brake pedal. Looking at the list, the pedal is 30.