Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing protection

Old 08-19-2018, 09:34 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Hearing protection

Hey guys, looking for ideas on how to best (and comfortably) get some relief from the constant droning of the Rinehart pipes while on day trips. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my bike and losing the pipes is out of the question, but honestly, when on a several hour trip it gets to me after a while. Now here's the thing, my ear canals are deformed - I think - because I CANNOT get the little foam wads to stay in either ear! Lord knows I've tried! And oh yeah, I'm not much for helmets. The one I have that I wear once in a while is a half helmet so it doesn't cover my ears.

What do others do when looking to quieten their biking experience? I've got a set of on-the-ear JBL Bluetooth headphones but not sure they would stay on my head while riding. Maybe.

Before anyone starts flame throwing about wearing a Bluetooth headset that might prevent me from hearing a horn or skidding tires - I couldn't hear those things OVER the pipes WITHOUT them so not sure it's a 'danger item'.

Just looking to see what others do when faced with similar circumstance. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Honestly after many years and many bikes with a variety of different exhaust I don’t get how people hear exhaust noise over the wind once at speed. With a half helmet for longer trips i just use the cheap foam earplugs cut in half. Cuts down the wind and lets me hear the stereo.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Well there's something I've not tried - cutting them down in size. I'll give that a shot maybe and see if they stay in better. Thanks davewear 🙃

Old 08-19-2018, 10:04 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I'VE TRIED EAR PLUGS IN MY EARLIER DAYS OF RIDING, DIDN' CARE FOR THE FACT YOU COULDN'T HEAR THE ENGINE AND IT'S LITTLE CHANGE IN SOME NOISES. Sarcasm off. Have you tried rolling the foam down to about an 1/8" and quickly putting them in your ear, then you can hear/feel them expand. Had to learn sleep with them in while deployed on an a ship, worked night shift at the time.

The following users liked this post:
TexasMotorcycleRider (08-21-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:05 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,220 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Huh??

Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

They make a million differently shaped ear plugs. Find the ones that fit and make sure to insert them correctly.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Foam ear plugs work best for me too I work in industrial manufacturing maintenance so I have to wear them all the time anyways I guess I'm used to it.

ps. What funny engine noise? LoL

Old 08-19-2018, 10:40 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Custom fit ear plugs are only about $150.00 and will last for years. You can get them with various levels of attenuation to suit your needs. I have three sets, ones I use for drag racing / tuning at the track that are full shells. Half shells with ports to wear on the shop floors when working with my customers so we can carry on a conversation, and then the ones my wife and I wear on the highway on long rides to block wind noise and let us listen to the radio.

Foam plugs can provide a lot of dB protection, but are a pain in the rear in my book. I hate them with a passion.

Call up a ENT that sells hearing aids close to you...you just need an appointment with the audiologist. Takes about 5 minutes for a mold to be made

https://www.westone.com/store/hearin...ndear-personal

rideon (08-24-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:45 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,256 Posts

LG Tone Bluetooth Earbuds synced to you phone with ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd , Molly Hatchet, etc. in ur ear!

2 lane Hi-way and sunshine=

Plus you can get text messages read out to you while your commuting and stuff.

Last edited by MotoJockey; 08-19-2018 at 10:47 PM.
TN_Biker (08-22-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 PM
skurtenb
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ear peace

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hearing protection