Sponsored by:

Clutch Switch Went Out This Morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:28 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Clutch Switch Went Out This Morning

Went out just now to jump on the bike for a solo 3 day ride and no start. Snap the clutch lever a bunch of times got the bike to start. Pull the lever in and it dies. Going back out to jump the switch out in a bit so I can get the bike running and call my dealer when they open to see if they have a switch in stock so they can replace it under warranty. Or just buy it out right and install it myself. Either way my weekend has been ruined. Thanks Harley!

Just when I get to trusting the bike it proves it's not trustworthy yet again. Looks like it will be a miracle if it runs enough to make it to Paris Tx. for the Bring It Home Parade Ride. And thats local for me.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Mine crapped out as well and so has my gear position sensor. All this electronic **** to protect us from ourselves or make our lives “easier” is Bullshit.

The following users liked this post:
jpooch00 (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:51 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Seems like I saw a post that said the MoCo had updated the left switch pack to fix this issue. Don't know if it's true or not, but you could ask the dealer to check for an updated part number.

Since this has been going on for, what, five or six years, it would be about the right time for them to try something different. Usually takes 'em 5 to 10 years figure out how to get their "wonderful, new designs" to actually just work as advertised.

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-01-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:00 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
All this electronic **** to protect us from ourselves or make our lives “easier” is Bullshit.
Eloquently said and absolutely true, Sir - especially where the MoCo's involved! They should just stick with the mechanical stuff, like trying to build motors/trannies etc. that work and last, for instance, and leave the advanced electronic bullshit to somebody that actually knows what they're doing.

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-01-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:02 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

When its hot out and bike been sitting in sun, my clutch switch has been inop some. Put it in neutral to start. I need to take it in and get the switch replaced under warranty.

The following users liked this post:
moonie48 (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 08:17 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior

OK,,, got mine out. The plastic housing has a tiny crack in it. Water and grime built up in it. Drilled two small holes in it with a pin drill and got it flushed out with WD-40. Sealed back up with a soldering iron and re-installed. Waiting on dealer to open so I can figure out the next step. At least I can get it ridden to my dealer 100 miles away. Just called and canceled my reservations for the trip this weekend.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:30 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
OK,,, got mine out. The plastic housing has a tiny crack in it. Water and grime built up in it. Drilled two small holes in it with a pin drill and got it flushed out with WD-40. Sealed back up with a soldering iron and re-installed. Waiting on dealer to open so I can figure out the next step. At least I can get it ridden to my dealer 100 miles away. Just called and canceled my reservations for the trip this weekend.
That Sucks.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:23 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Got a hold of the dealer,,, No parts in stock. As long as it's fixed by the 15th of Sept. for the bring it home parade ride. It's all good. Off to get in the cage and go motorcycle shopping for a real motorcycle. Should have never sold my 2017 FJR.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:43 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Damn dude. That has to be frustrating. Thing is when **** likes this happens and they dont have a part in stock they should have to pull one off a new bike and let you have it. That would make there butts keep the problem items in stock. The first time it cost them a sale it would be hell to pay.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:48 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
Damn dude. That has to be frustrating. Thing is when **** likes this happens and they dont have a part in stock they should have to pull one off a new bike and let you have it. That would make there butts keep the problem items in stock. The first time it cost them a sale it would be hell to pay.
a good company should make your problem their problem under warranty periods..what you stated would be tough for HD though as there would be a showroom full of new bikes in various states of disassembly

Quick Reply: Clutch Switch Went Out This Morning