Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Recall

Is there a deadline to have this recall completed?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:40 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

?? Don't know about a brake fluid recall,but if your referring to the clutch master cyl. recall on the Rushmore bikes,a safety campaign has no expiration date.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:35 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

I believe he's talking about the 2008-2011 brake failure recall. OP, go here and enter your VIN for the recall notice. I don't believe there is a deadline for safety recalls, though.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...e-recalls.html

Old 09-02-2018, 02:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If you haven't had the ABS recall done I'd be making an appointment with the dealer. If moisture has gotten into the Hydraulic Control Unit for the ABS the valving in it could be corroding and that could case failure in the brakes. At least you have a recall, the "12's and '13's have the same module but not covered in the recall.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,958 Likes on 1,712 Posts

As stated, no expiration on safety recalls. What is referred to as campaigns versus recalls, those often have expirations. Since I change my own brake fluid and cycle the ABS with the Twin Scan II ABS, I’ll wait until some other time when I’ll just have a dealer do it to clear it out of the system.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:49 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
As stated, no expiration on safety recalls. What is referred to as campaigns versus recalls, those often have expirations. Since I change my own brake fluid and cycle the ABS with the Twin Scan II ABS, I’ll wait until some other time when I’ll just have a dealer do it to clear it out of the system.
I gotta ask...

My 08 has ABS....I read you can bleed as normal as long as you don't run the system dry and get air into the ABS control unit all is good. I believe this doesn't get all the fluid swapped out....but for a garage mechanic it will work.

or is it better to do this process, ride, then repeat to ensure getting all old fluid out?

I use a Mityvac...and go slow, take my time.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,958 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
I gotta ask...

My 08 has ABS....I read you can bleed as normal as long as you don't run the system dry and get air into the ABS control unit all is good. I believe this doesn't get all the fluid swapped out....but for a garage mechanic it will work.

or is it better to do this process, ride, then repeat to ensure getting all old fluid out?

I use a Mityvac...and go slow, take my time.
It is better than nothing, but it is important to cycle the ABS. That is why we are reading about the folks that have gone in for the recall only to have the ABS module fail during the recall. Some folks bleed and then go out and purposely activate the ABS then bleed again.

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg

It is better than nothing, but it is important to cycle the ABS. That is why we are reading about the folks that have gone in for the recall only to have the ABS module fail during the recall. Some folks bleed and then go out and purposely activate the ABS then bleed again.
so by activating the ABS one puts the fluid in the ABS module into the lines so it can be bled out the second time one bleeds....unless I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
so by activating the ABS one puts the fluid in the ABS module into the lines so it can be bled out the second time one bleeds....unless I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.
I think what he's saying is that the little pistons or plungers inside the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) become seized up due to gunk from the old brake fluid. Apparently, they need to be "exercised" every so often so that they move back and forth by the ABS module. Here's what one looks like when it's gunked up:

Old 09-02-2018, 09:19 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I think what he's saying is that the little pistons or plungers inside the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) become seized up due to gunk from the old brake fluid. Apparently, they need to be "exercised" every so often so that they move back and forth by the ABS module. Here's what one looks like when it's gunked up:

I see....makes sense. Well they have def been activated this summer a time or few. Thanks. Maybe I'll do a triple flush and activate them on a few rides between flushes. I do get the 'free' flush via recall, but after reading about issues folks were having at the dealer I got leery. Hmmm.....

Where is the HCU located on the bike? (08 Touring) thought I recalled it under a side cover...but haven't had them off in awhile.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Recall