Sponsored by:

P0152 again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:24 PM
T Zimmerman
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry P0152 again!!!

My 2017 Ultra Limited has had a chronic problem with throwing the P0152 error code (Rear O2 sensor high), causing the check engine light to come on. It doesn't seem to cause a drop in performance but it is really annoying. I have 6,500 miles on it now and the dealer replaced the rear O2 sensor about 300 miles ago and I was thinking the problem might have been fixed. I went out for a quick ride on a beautiful Colorado day today and I'll be damned if the light didn't come back on. Upon checking I discovered that the P0152 is back. I called the dealer and of course the response was, "Bring it back in and we will dig deeper into it".

Has anybody else had any experience with this? Might be time to trade for a 114 Limited. I'm sure HD would treat me fair on that deal.

I'm starting to think this problem will never go away.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by T Zimmerman
My 2017 Ultra Limited has had a chronic problem with throwing the P0152 error code (Rear O2 sensor high), causing the check engine light to come on. It doesn't seem to cause a drop in performance but it is really annoying. I have 6,500 miles on it now and the dealer replaced the rear O2 sensor about 300 miles ago and I was thinking the problem might have been fixed. I went out for a quick ride on a beautiful Colorado day today and I'll be damned if the light didn't come back on. Upon checking I discovered that the P0152 is back. I called the dealer and of course the response was, "Bring it back in and we will dig deeper into it".

Has anybody else had any experience with this? Might be time to trade for a 114 Limited. I'm sure HD would treat me fair on that deal.

I'm starting to think this problem will never go away.
sounds like a real isolated issue, at least here..since it's warranty I'd give it the old 3rd time's a charm before I went to such a drastic and costly measure as trading it in, especially if you enjoy the bike and that's the only real problem you've had and like you said, it's not affecting performance or leaving you stranded..I sure wouldn't tell them you're considering trading it in if they don't get it right this time, they'll make sure not to fix it!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

If you're still under warranty let them do the checks below. You could swap injectors and see if the problem goes with the injector.

Last edited by Vernal; 09-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:40 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I would check for a rich condition. Your sensor is probably working fine, they should have checked for a rich condition before replacing it

The following users liked this post:
T Zimmerman (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 PM
T Zimmerman
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I'm not really thinking about trading it in. As much as I would like to have the 114 (latest and greatest) I do love the bike and fortunately it is under warranty so I will let the pros work on it. I just hate to keep taking it back to the dealer all of the time. Hey JustDave13 thanks for your service. My son is a Marine.

Vernal thanks for taking the time to send all of that information. I do appreciate it!

I'm wondering if a Stage I kit would help with this????????

Old 09-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Don’t think the Stage 1 will fix it, but when you get it fixed stage 1 and a Power Vision will make you smile.

Have you considered a different dealer?

T Zimmerman (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by T Zimmerman
No I'm not really thinking about trading it in. As much as I would like to have the 114 (latest and greatest) I do love the bike and fortunately it is under warranty so I will let the pros work on it. I just hate to keep taking it back to the dealer all of the time. Hey JustDave13 thanks for your service. My son is a Marine.

Vernal thanks for taking the time to send all of that information. I do appreciate it!

I'm wondering if a Stage I kit would help with this????????
personally I wouldn't consider throwing money at it grasping at straws..they just need to get way more serious about it this go around and work with getting the MOCO engaged on troubleshooting steps..put the pressure on them and make them start throwing new FREE parts at it, since it sounds like it's bone stock..they need to make your problem their problem..all that being said, can certainly understand the high level of frustration and lack of confidence thus far

T Zimmerman (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:04 PM
bikermikee
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

My 17 rgu has been doing that since July 17 .They swapped sensors and it didn't do it again until right before Sturgis 2018. Then it did it three times during Sturgis. I cleared the code every time but it sure leads to the boy who cried wolf syndrome when that check engine light comes on. One of these times it might be serious .Mine always seems to come on when I'm going down hill with no throttle on but still in gear. Pretty consistent that's when it happens .Going in this week for my 5k oil service .going to have them check it again .Funny thing is, the owner of black hills Harley's bike does it too and they can't figure his out either. I ride with him and have talked to him on our hog rides.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If its not electrical, I've seen O2 sensors get contaminated easy by either handling, but also certain products in the fuel or throttle body cleaning with carb spray instead of throttle body cleaner.
Even certain types or quantity of fuel injector cleaner or fuel additives.

If I don't find a short I clean the sensor with electrical contact spray which evaporates immediately and leaves no residue.

Last edited by outgood; 09-05-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:18 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,123 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Sounds like they initially misdiagnosed the issue and threw a part at it. It's likely a leaky injector.

Quick Reply: P0152 again!!!