Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verify actual mileage + method to correct title notation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 PM
lovecacti
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Verify actual mileage + method to correct title notation?

About a year ago, I traded an ATV for a 2009 Road King Classic. It was raining and I did not run a CarFax/Autocheck on it at the time. The title looked normal/clear to me (the usual color border/background, no salvage/rebuilt watermark) and the guy I was trading didn't disclose anything odd about the title.

I recently bought a new bike and had a trade-in value for the RK from a dealer. Instead of taking the trade-in value, I sold the RK to a friend for the trade-in value in what I thought was a great bargain for him.

Well, apparently my friend has received his new title and there is a notation of "Not Actual Mileage." My spouse and friend fiddled with the title for an hour at the DMV when we sold it to him and neither noticed any notation on my old title and the clerk at the DMV didn't mention anything about this. I reviewed Autocheck tonight and it looks like one of the previous owners "ballparked" the mileage back when it was registered in 2015 (45,000 miles) and the next precise mileage is 36,018, followed by 37,903, etc.

I am absolutely mortified and feel terrible because my friend is upset. If I had noticed, I would have just taken the trade-in for the same amount. I did not gain anything by selling it to my friend. I have already offered to buy back the motorcycle, but I want to make sure I leave no stone unturned because he likes the bike.

Has anyone been able to get their DMV to remove a "not actual mileage" notation from a title after having Harley verify the ECM mileage matches the odometer? Maybe by having the dealer notarize a statement?

Thank you.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:08 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a similar issue with my RV.
Purchased it in Indiana and the dealer stated that it had 45000 miles.
Could not verify because the lcd display was a little funky. Fast forward a few weeks later I had the speedometer repaired and the mileage was 41xxx.
This is prior to registering with dmv.
I had the dealer send over a corrected bill of sale and a certified letter stating that this was their fault for the typo.
NJ DMV could care less, told me that it could not be corrected as it as already on the title.

Not quite the same as my issue was in my favor and had less mileage

Good Luck
Tom.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I've knowingly bought and sold several bikes with Not Actual Mileage noted on the title. Once it's there that's it and DMV will not remove ... sorry.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 AM
lovecacti
Intermediate

I just found our "even trade bill of sale" and the previous owner actually signed off on the statement confirming that the mileage indicated on the odometer of the vehicle is correct to the best of his knowledge. I just wish I had noticed the discrepancy on the title.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:42 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If it's a big deal to your friend, buy the bike back, sell it to someone else and make them aware of the discrepancy. To me and a lot of other guys this is nothing; to others who want a trophy instead of a tool it's a big deal. Bottom line, I won't sell anything to a friend, I'd rather give it to them than deal with taking them to raise on repairs/upgrades, "it's making a funny noise" or the inevitable bad blood that comes from someone thinking they got jerked around.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-18-2018 at 05:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lovecacti (06-06-2019)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 AM
lovecacti
Intermediate
Unhappy

Originally Posted by run1fsr
I've knowingly bought and sold several bikes with Not Actual Mileage noted on the title. Once it's there that's it and DMV will not remove ... sorry.
I spoke with our DMV corporate office (North Carolina) this AM and indeed there is no mechanism to remove this designation from the title.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:30 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Never sell anything to a friend. Something will always cause it to go sideways.

The following 3 users liked this post by CalgaryBikeBum:
Campy Roadie (09-20-2018), Geoff (09-19-2018), lovecacti (06-06-2019)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM
lovecacti
Intermediate

I bought the bike back from him this afternoon. No harm done to friendship. Looked at title and it wasn't spelled out "not actual mileage" on it -- there is just a code of "NAM" below the odometer value which would explain why I never noticed it in the past. NAM isn't an acronym with which I am familiar.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:29 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Honestly, it sounds to me like your friend overreacted and cost himself a good deal. Especially since, if I read your first post correctly, the actual milage was less than originally reported on the title.
Oh well, I hope he appreciates what a friend he has in you.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:37 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok good, and now you can re-sell with a clear conscious. Quite likely you will find a buyer willing to pay trade value, or close to that, even with a clouded title. To someone looking for a good deal and long-term hold that shouldn’t matter. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Verify actual mileage + method to correct title notation?