General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty! What's your opinion/experience?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 AM
NoahD
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty! What's your opinion/experience?

Hey!

End of the week I will be astride my new Fat Boy 114, my first HD. Trying to get a read on whether the extended warranty is worth it or not. Thinking 5 year or 3 year, with the tire and rim warranty.

Would you get it? Have you used it, was it worth it? Yes or no to tire and rim warranty?

Thanks!!

ND

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

It would depend on how many miles I planned to put on it. Traveling and lots of miles yes, occasional riding and putting around on probably not.

The following users liked this post:
NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

There are other choices than the Harley warranty at a much lower price. Shop around ..

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

My husband and I both have used the tire/wheel warranty. He hit a pot hole in the dark on the way to work that bent the wheel within a month of buying his bike. The dealership picked up his bike and had wheel and tire replaced that same day. That one instance alone paid for the coverage. Just remember that it only covers stock Dunlop brand tires, though.

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've had the Harley endorsed ESP on several bikes. They have covered issues without a hassle. If I sold the bike before the ESP expired, they have been very fair with the refund.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
When the salesperson is talking term, they include the 2 year factory warranty in the quote. So a "3 Year Plan" is actually only one year more than the factory warranty. A "5 Year Plan" is only 3 years longer than the factory warranty. And the "7 Year Plan" is 5 years longer than the factory warranty.
Tire & wheel coverage is from day one, so you do have that coverage during the factory warranty period, plus the extra years you buy.
Here in the states, the rates are negotiable. You may have to call around to various dealers in different states, but you can save big bucks over the list price.
Jim Palmer at Boardtracker HD in Wisconsin sells a different plan that has had good reviews on this forum.

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM
dyna2008
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

It's like a gamble or even insurance. Are you ever going to need it? Maybe or maybe not. Im on my third year of mine and haven't used it once.
​​​But who knows what today or tomorrow might bring? If it gives you peace of mind to have it and you will be out on longer rides I think it's worth the gamble.

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

In the long run the insurance company offers products they make money on and only products they make money on.
Many can chip in with circumstances where the warranties paid out more than customer paid in.
The math don't lie much like a slot machine some win but most lose.
I prefer to only insurance things i cant afford to replace , like health insurance and liability insurance where the down side is hundreds of thousands of dollars .
Engine repairs and tire replacement may fall under the" can't afford to replace" for many and that is their decision to guarantee against those issues.
If you receive emotional comfort with a warranty by all means buy it . It makes you feel better that can be priceless.

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 AM
pomeara
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

HD Corp has negotiated better parts and labor rates with their dealers than we can. This savings is calculated in the warranty price. Don't get me wrong - warranties are a profit center for any company but if you have an issue the warranty can more than pay for itself. HD is predicting X amount of failures for your bike over a period of time. If the Reliability Engineers guessed wrong you will be happy you got the coverage.

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Just got my new trike a few weeks ago and I'm still on the fence between the H-D ESP and a couple of other similar but lower priced plans.

I will agree that the amount of miles you ride (and in what time frame) defines whether or not you (or I) should get an ESP.
Weekend, sunny day riders would more than likely be wasting their money as the chances of serious issues developing with their bike are slim-to-none, whereas those of us who tour a lot have much higher chances of needing more warranty after the OEM, TWO YEAR warranty expires.

I have the 7 (actually 5 year) H-D ESP on my '13 (including the tire and wheel warranty) and I have about ONE year left on the plan and I have 34,000+ miles on my bike. Should I decide to keep the bike (which I doubt) I could purchase addition warranty but I don't see that as prudent because I will be putting more miles on the trike.

I've used the ESP twice on my '13 (voltage regulator failed and the radio died) and I'd estimate that if I had to pay for this myself, the bill for both of these repairs would have been somewhere near a $1,000.
So far, I'm "in the hole" so to speak with the "cost-benefit ratio" of the cost of the ESP to what my claims have been, BUT, I have one more year to go and who knows what could/may happen to a 6 year old bike in that time?

That said, I'll probably go for the H-D ESP even though it is more expensive and limits certain upgrades which requires the use of their products to avoid the voiding of the warranty.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 09-18-2018 at 10:44 AM.
NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

had it, never used it

NoahD (09-18-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty! What's your opinion/experience?