EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition pickup sensor - 91 Flhtc

Old 10-12-2018, 07:41 AM
lillemann
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition pickup sensor - 91 Flhtc

I think my ignition sensor is broken. The problem is: When I'am crusing at, approximately 80 kmh and rpm at 26-2700 for a distanse of 70-80 km it seems ok, but when I reach 3000 rpm the engine starts to cut. If I then cut the ignition in speed (70-80 km) and start up again, the symtoms dissapears.
The insulation around the sensor is sticky and seems to melted, I know this might be a sign to get a new one? Are you guys agree?
And another question, can I use a sensor from a newer Evo? Part # 32488-95
Thank's
Per-Řivind

Old 10-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

When that sensor goes gooey, it's time for a new one. Any non-EFI one should drop in. I doin't know about the EFI versions, which I think some have used with some simple mods.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Per-Řivind, Hi from the UK. 1990 FLHS here, owned from new. I had melt-down of my sensor some years ago, although the symptoms while riding were quite different to yours. However where our two bikes were the same is that the sensor turned ugly and obviously had something going wrong with it! So I strongly recommend you replace yours, as mine packed up on a busy motorway during the rush-hour which was a bit of a nightmare, until I got recovered. I replaced mine with a new stock one and that remained reliable for many years. I'm not sure if the part you suggest is suitable.

This is a thread on the same subject, so you don't feel alone, with several suggestions. For example there are aftermarket replacements for your failing sensor, also an alternative ignition system which fits inside the engine, where the sensor is. There is a very good reason for going that route, as the stock ignition system does not have an optimum ignition advance curve.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:32 AM
lillemann
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
When that sensor goes gooey, it's time for a new one. Any non-EFI one should drop in. I doin't know about the EFI versions, which I think some have used with some simple mods.
Thank's Mr. Hess
I have one from a carburated Fat Boy, I'II try that one before buying a new one.

Last edited by lillemann; 10-12-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM
lillemann
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
Per-Řivind, Hi from the UK. 1990 FLHS here, owned from new. I had melt-down of my sensor some years ago, although the symptoms while riding were quite different to yours. However where our two bikes were the same is that the sensor turned ugly and obviously had something going wrong with it! So I strongly recommend you replace yours, as mine packed up on a busy motorway during the rush-hour which was a bit of a nightmare, until I got recovered. I replaced mine with a new stock one and that remained reliable for many years. I'm not sure if the part you suggest is suitable.

This is a thread on the same subject, so you don't feel alone, with several suggestions. For example there are aftermarket replacements for your failing sensor, also an alternative ignition system which fits inside the engine, where the sensor is. There is a very good reason for going that route, as the stock ignition system does not have an optimum ignition advance curve.
Thank you Mr. Brown. And hi from Norways.*
The rpm, just drop in a 1000 of a second when the problem occur. If I give a hard trottle to speed up, it's dissapear for awhile before it's back .
I'll change the sensor this winter and hopefully the problem is solved.
Thank's for the link
Per-Řivind

Last edited by lillemann; 10-12-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by lillemann
I think my ignition sensor is broken. The problem is: When I'am crusing at, approximately 80 kmh and rpm at 26-2700 for a distanse of 70-80 km it seems ok, but when I reach 3000 rpm the engine starts to cut. If I then cut the ignition in speed (70-80 km) and start up again, the symtoms dissapears.
The insulation around the sensor is sticky and seems to melted, I know this might be a sign to get a new one? Are you guys agree?
And another question, can I use a sensor from a newer Evo? Part # 32488-95
Thank's
Per-Řivind
Yep time for a new cam sensor/ignition pickup.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:56 PM
lillemann
Advanced

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Yep time for a new cam sensor/ignition pickup.
​​​​​​Yepp, It seems like I have to do that 😃

Old 10-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

That's a casual afternoon job. The time to do it is before you're stuck on the side of the road.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

I have not heard of a sensor disrupting the way it runs bas on RPM's. Yeah once they get hot sure, they start having running issues ETC. even though the goo is melting maybe it is time for a new one but I think you have other problems if you're cruising fine at 26 2700 RPM and then you pick up your speed to 3000 RPM that's when you start losing it I would think maybe you have a float level or fuel delivery system issue as well....

Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM
lillemann
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
That's a casual afternoon job. The time to do it is before you're stuck on the side of the road.
I know. But we have only some few weeks again of the season before this shitty white stuff cover everything around us. So untill then l'll try to get some more miles in this cold weather we have now, (50 F)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition pickup sensor - 91 Flhtc