Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Heritage Clutch Cable Stretching

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:25 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default '18 Heritage Clutch Cable Stretching

Just ready for My Cherry's 5K service. Just wondering if anybody else is having an issue with their clutch cable stretching.

My clutch cable (I believe) is stretched so badly there is no more adjustment left. Tommorow will be the third time I am taking it back to the dealer for them to look at the clutch.

About a month ago I noticed that the clutch lever was getting loose and the engeagment/friction zone was moving further away from the grip. Took it in to the service department and they said that the cable tends to stretch and it needed an adjustmet both in the cable and in the primary. They took it in while I waited and made the adjustment charging for 1/2 hour of work because adjustments are not considered warrenty work.

Less than two weeks later and a few hundred miles, the engeagment/friction zone was again almost all the way out from the grip. I trieded my hand at making an adjustment, but within another hundred miles or so the zone was even worse, so back to the service department again. They said, because I made the ajustments to the clutch, it was out of spec and they had to do another adjustment, this time costing me another 1 hour service charge. When I picked up the bike, they said it was adjusted to be within specs, but I found the zone to be almost 3/4 away from the grip. Seemed OK but not where I was used to it being.

One week later and again about another 250 miles, the zone is almost all the way out making rolling off from a stand still a litle difficult and jumpy. It seems to get worse as the bikes gets hotter.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I was under the impression the physical cable on the 18+ had no adjustment as it was supposed to be self adjusting. So if the cable itself is stretched beyond limits, causing your issue, only a new cable assembly would fix it.

You could do all the clutch adjustments you want in the primary, but if the physical cable is at fault, none of that will help at all.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM
CDM_Oregon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you referring to the adjustment on the cable itself, or the clutch adjustment? You may need to adjust the clutch, very simple process outlined in many threads here .

Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Maybe look at this thread to see if it could help you. It won't fix a stretched cable but it could get you some of your adjustment back, self adjusting or not.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-a-2017-a.html

Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CDM_Oregon
Are you referring to the adjustment on the cable itself, or the clutch adjustment? You may need to adjust the clutch, very simple process outlined in many threads here .
Don't know!

Fist time in the service rep said it need a "clutch" adjustment as my original complaint was having difficulty finding neautral and the clutch lever was getting sloppy (my observation). The rep pulled on the cable up by the lever and it moved out about a 1/2 inch and said it had stretched and needed to be adjusted...but did not say where or how.

Before taking it in the second time I tried, following the video, to adjust the clutch in the Primary but could not get the friction zone to be at 1/2 +/- lever pull in where I think it shoud be. I got it adjusted a little better but must have messed with it to much since they told me it was out of spec. Looked easy in the video but it seems the clutch adjustment is a "feel" thing and I just did not know what that "Feel" was supposed to be. That adjustment did not last long anyway, so I took it right back in.

After the second service adjustment, they claimed it was in spec but after on 250 miles the grab zone is almost at full release of the lever again.

So is it the clutch or the cable that is going out of whack? I havn't a clue.

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-15-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:14 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iHodor
Maybe look at this thread to see if it could help you. It won't fix a stretched cable but it could get you some of your adjustment back, self adjusting or not.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-a-2017-a.html
Thank you. Printed out that report and taking it with me to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

You're very welcome, hope it helps!

Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

And we know that the clutch/cable is now a two piece design linked and held together with a plastic red clip. So the stretching could be either of those two pieces or a combination of the two, or possibly that red threaded clip has stripped some threads and affected your clutch handle free play. I had noticed additional free play and so i played around with that red clip and was able to reduce the free play. Clutch has been ok since then and have never had to adjust the actual clutch release point.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:07 PM
CDM_Oregon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha. I prefer much looser than they recommend so the friction zone is closer to the grip. It seems sloppy when not riding and give the lever a wiggle, but when riding it is much more responsive.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:23 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Thank you. Printed out that report and taking it with me to the dealer tomorrow.
I don't think this will help you. This is for hydraulic clutch, you have a cable clutch. Sounds like a cable malfunction to me. I hope you get it fixed.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (10-16-2018)

Quick Reply: '18 Heritage Clutch Cable Stretching