General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The death of my Evo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The death of my Evo

So I finally got a Harley a year ago. Before that I had Japanese bikes because that’s what I could afford. I worked my butt of to get a Harley, and what I could afford was a (financed) 1991 flhs. I went through a lot of issues, and paid money to a shop initially to wind up having the bike be worse.

After working with with the guys in the Evo forum, I got it running. Rode it for a month and a half or so, then the worst thing anyone could think of happened...

So now I have no bike, and actually I haven’t owed a car in years. But I was going to share the story that i wrote for the Quick Throttle page with y’all.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 10-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,207 Likes on 11,119 Posts

That's awful, hopefully insurance will take care of you. Black smoke means the fire was probably caused by a fuel line that let go.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Looks as if you needed some upkeep on your fuel system.Hope you had insurance.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced
Default Yep, that’s my bike

READER STORY: BY BEN

Yep, thatʼs my bike.

Many of you probably saw the post on Quick Throttle magazine with a bike in flames. Tub was mine. My very first Davidson. My only way to get around in a new city. The first bike my daughter rode on. The first bike that instilled a love of motorcycles in a 17 month old little girl.

You can make all the jokes you want about it being “slow”, or a basket case, or ‘oh look, a hog roast!ʼ, but that motorcycle was my beating heart, and I stood on the side of the road as it burned to a crisp.

Sure, it had its issues. What bike that is as old as the rider doesnʼt? But I put 15,000 miles on it, and it taught me a lot. You can buy a motorcycle, and ride it; but you can also buy a motorcycle, and give it life. I found that 1991 FLHS at Woodstock Harley Davidson in Illinois, buried in the back room. One of my brothers had the same bike tore down in his garage, and I knew it was me. Slash cut straight pipes, 16” apes, that bike had my name all over it.

When I moved to San Antonio, I waited 2 months for Harley to get the bike to me. It showed up, and I was on it. Until the ignition went out. Local Indy shop fixed it up, and I was on it. Until the inspection plug came out rolling 80mph down 35 south. Then I was on it. Until the carb was clogged and had to get cleaned out. But I was riding that old HD. Then I blew a tire. Then someone tried to steal it. Then I rode it some more. Until that one trip to Dallas.

My daughter spent a lot of time with me while I changed the battery, changed fluids, replaced highway pegs. She wasn’t even walking and would reach to sit on it when I would walk her by.

If I was taking the battery out to put it on the tender, she HAD to have her wrench. She couldnʼt really do anything, but Iʼll be damned if she didnʼt make sure the moving parts moved. Or didnʼt move. Whatever her little imagination wanted it to be. She just knew she was with the motorcycle and Dad.

Thatʼs what made that trip to Dallas hurt just a little bit more. That bike taught her to love motorcycles. It showed a little girl the value of a good adjustable wrench. And it all went up in flames.

The bike was running better than ever. New air filter, fresh fluids, half the bike had been replaced. Just another trip to Dallas. Fuel stop, fuel stop, Waffle House. Then 10 minutes from my destination, the bike shuts off. ****. Pull onto the shoulder, hit start. “Bro, get off your bike itʼs on fire.” I looked down, flames started coming up from behind the carburetor. Damn! Grab a shirt from my lid-less saddlebags. Try to put it out. “Itʼs gone, bro, let it go.” And I did. I watched the kickstand melt off, I stood in the grass as the bike was completely engulfed in flames.

I stood there as the fire department sprayed water up my exhaust, peeled the melted seat off, and watched the wiring harness disintegrate, ensuring I wouldnʼt be fixing her.

I helped the tow man drag it onto his flatbed by the engine guard, scratching off the last bit of old school Harley blue. Then I knew it was over. The same bike that I blew life into, that gave life to me, was never going to breathe again.

Iʼll miss you Blue. But youʼll always live on. Through my daughterʼs wrench, and my beating heart.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 10-15-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced

Originally Posted by upflying
That's awful, hopefully insurance will take care of you. Black smoke means the fire was probably caused by a fuel line that let go.
Yup, I had just replaced it too. Best guess is that in the stop and go Dallas traffic, my bike was getting real hot. Thinking the line may have melted on the motor. But I’ll never know for sure.

insurance is paying it off, but back to square one.

The following users liked this post:
oldmanwayne (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced

I’m not one to beg, so I’m not. But do with this what you would like:

[QUOTE]So I just thought I would share this.

We don't allow fundraising on HD Forums without prior approval by an Admin.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 10-15-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

damnnn...

Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,207 Likes on 11,119 Posts

Not that it would have mattered much but I am amazed at the slow moving Dallas traffic passing by the conflagration and not one stopped to help with a fire extinguisher?
You had to wait 15 minutes for the big red truck folks to cool the molten metal.

Last edited by upflying; 10-15-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,783 Likes on 6,213 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully Insurance will take care of you.
I was in Woodstock last Saturday. They have a whole bunch more.
Have the guys go through it first as part of the deal. Tell Charlie I sent ya.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:09 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

remind me to never ask the forum for any help getting my bike running!!
seriously, sorry dude. but glad you weren't hurt.

Quick Reply: The death of my Evo