Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick detatch Luggage

Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Quick detatch Luggage

I was curious how many of you guys run luggage/bags on your Dynas? Specifically I was looking into using the Saddlemen specific fit rigid mount saddle bags. On my Wide Glide it looks like the turn signals can stay, but the bolts running through the struts to the fender are replaced. I was curious on how far they stick out or how un-slightly the replacement bolts are that the specific mount bags attach to. I'm not opposed to other options either, Saddlemen has caught my eye and I've had great luck with a seat from them so I looked into their stuff initially.

I'll be doing a sissy bar bag as well but figured I'd up my ability to haul clothes for two up trips with my wife.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 PM
SJK01
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's two picture of Saddlemen bags on my '07 Wide Glide.

Regards,
SJK

The following users liked this post:
Jonesy82 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM
EddieBrock
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ran the cobra setup from revzilla so I could leave my signals alone. Depending on how much storage you need it may be good enough, but I doubt it with what you are saying. We all have our preferences, I just hate the way saddlebags look on dynas.

Last edited by EddieBrock; 10-15-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Jonesy82 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Mutineer
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ain't nothin' quick or detachable about this particular model of Viking Bags. Bought the dyna used with the bags on it, tail light + turn signals eliminated, and it's an absolute work-horse for our household (groceries, beer, and bullsh!t). If I had to do it again - I would prefer different bags and keep the stock rear tail light and turn signals.

Tail light and turn signals eliminated in favor of Custom Dynamics LED integrated brake/turn signal tail light.

They rattled like hell from day one. Bought some marine grade weather strip from Lowe's - its the kind with two hollow cavities through it. Cut the first layer of the weather stripping off for a total thickness of 1/8". Solved the rattle issues entirely. Additionally, the piano hinge pin that runs half the length of the saddle bag kept backing itself out. This was resolved by gently tapping them back into the hinge, and peening the end of the hinge with a flathead screw driver. I've got 400mi on the hinge peening without backing out.

Otherwise, they work excellent and they can hold quite a lot of beer, or enough for a day trip. Michelob 12pk of skinny 12oz cans will fit without a problem. Regular 12pk of 12oz cans fit fine too. Have yet to try and throw an 18pk or 24pk in there.

Absolute rear width of Dyna w/ Viking bags: <~29"
Handle bar width: ~32"

Great starter bags if you can get them cheap enough.

Jonesy82 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SJK01
Here's two picture of Saddlemen bags on my '07 Wide Glide.

Regards,
SJK
Do you have pics with them off and the studs hanging out of the struts?

Thanks again

Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EddieBrock
I just ran the cobra setup from revzilla so I could leave my signals alone. Depending on how much storage you need it may be good enough, but I doubt it with what you are saying. We all have our preferences, I just hate the way saddlebags look on dynas.

I was initially going to just do the sissy bar bag and it'd be close luggage wise with the both of us. I agree, I don't like the way bags look on them either, that's why I was curious on the quick detach bags from Saddlemen and curious if the studs from the struts looked terrible when the bags weren't on. I dig the bag you have though.

EddieBrock (10-16-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM
SJK01
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll try to take a few pics later this week and post for you.

For what it's worth, if you're looking for a clean look when the bags are removed (with no other work) you won't like what you see. There is "U" shaped bracket (check out the Saddlemen S4 Quick Disconnect kit) that stays on the bike to support the lower portion of the bag...

These bags were on the bike when I bought it, so I've kept them on. I have a set of HD Detachable bags that I picked up on Ebay over the summer that are going on as a winter project.

Regards,
SJK

Old 10-17-2018, 11:33 AM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

I have the Adventure Bag System from Bare Knuckle Choppers. Not cheap, but neither is the quality. Plus they have an incredible amount of space. I'll be adding the optional top box once it's released.

Off

On.

It takes about 30 seconds to remove or install. Bracket locks onto struts, and the cases lock onto the bracket.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 554 Likes on 329 Posts

I have Boss Bags (30 can bags) on my 97 WG.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SJK01
I'll try to take a few pics later this week and post for you.

For what it's worth, if you're looking for a clean look when the bags are removed (with no other work) you won't like what you see. There is "U" shaped bracket (check out the Saddlemen S4 Quick Disconnect kit) that stays on the bike to support the lower portion of the bag...

SJK
Gotcha, yeah I'm looking for something clean when the bags aren't on. I appreciate the heads up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick detatch Luggage