General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying New Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
mstrlucky74
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Buying New Harley

This will be my first purchase and have a few questions. Looking at the 19' 889 Iron Sportster. Price is $9k.

1. Is that price firm or will the dealers possibly go lower?
2. Are there any other price points that are negotiable and could vary dealer to dealer e.g. service charges etc.?

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrlucky74
This will be my first purchase and have a few questions. Looking at the 19' 889 Iron Sportster. Price is $9k.

1. Is that price firm or will the dealers possibly go lower?
2. Are there any other price points that are negotiable and could vary dealer to dealer e.g. service charges etc.?

Thanks.
1. The price is up to the dealers willingness to negotiate. There are many dealers, so that helps. Demand for the model usually plays a part in their willingness to deal. Winter, non-riding, season, usually gives the dealer an incentive to deal as well.

2. You may be able to get them to throw in the first service.

3. Don't go in there salivating like you have to have the bike, today, no matter what. Time is on your side.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:42 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't buy new if its your first bike, esp a sporster.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 PM
mstrlucky74
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by katanaplanet
Don't buy new if its your first bike, esp a sporster.
I've had motorcyles before, and still do, all sports bikes....have ridden my dads Harley before. Getting new....sorry.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

1. Buy the first bike you sit on. No need to sit on others. Waste of time.

2. Walk into the dealership and tell the salesman that no matter what, you're leaving with a bike from that exact dealer/salesman that day.

3. Just accept the first price they give you. Negotiating is a waste of time and you can never win.

4. Don't ask for any thrown in's. It'll just slow down the transaction

5. Remember, the dealer holds ALL the cards so just walk in knowing you'll have to settle for whatever they want you to settle on.

(Do the opposite of all of this!)

The following 4 users liked this post by DC4MVP:
mstrlucky74 (10-15-2018), Narddog (10-17-2018), ThePaintPirate (10-15-2018), ve9aa (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

HD dealerships are all independent businesses, and each have their own way of doing things.

You can certainly try to negotiate on the purchase price. No telling how much if any they'll bend. But hurts nothing to try.

It's also possible to ask for some extras- like first service thrown in, service contract, what have you.

If you finance, and go thru the dealer, they get a few pennies for placing the loan, and that may incent them to give you something.

If you don't like the price the dealer offers, simply walk.

The following users liked this post:
mstrlucky74 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:11 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brewmany
HD dealerships are all independent businesses, and each have their own way of doing things.

You can certainly try to negotiate on the purchase price. No telling how much if any they'll bend. But hurts nothing to try.

It's also possible to ask for some extras- like first service thrown in, service contract, what have you.

If you finance, and go thru the dealer, they get a few pennies for placing the loan, and that may incent them to give you something.

If you don't like the price the dealer offers, simply walk.
Precisely.

Also, don't be afraid to play the dealers against each other. Let them know you have options and aren't afraid to take your business to the next dealer.

When I got my RGS, I walked into my dealer of choice, got their price, told them I'd sleep on it, walked into the next dealer and showed them the price they offered, they offered a lower price & half off backrest/bars/grips. Took that back to the original dealer, and they beat that price by a decent amount and threw in the parts at no cost.

The following users liked this post:
mstrlucky74 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:18 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

When I bought my first HD, I had 2 dealers trying to win my business. Once one dealership said "I don't know how he can go that low, he's losing money on that deal" after showing another dealer's offer in writing, I found my answer.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
When I bought my first HD, I had 2 dealers trying to win my business. Once one dealership said "I don't know how he can go that low, he's losing money on that deal" after showing another dealer's offer in writing, I found my answer.
I always wondered if they're actually losing money on a deal when a salesman says that about their offer or another dealer's offer or that it's just so low, they're making little profit.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I have a great relationship with my dealer, bought two used bikes and bunch of parts etc. The second bike I know they lost money on it, even seen the cost sheet, between what they gave as a trade in and the service work done they lost about $2000 selling it to me. It had been sitting on their floor for 2yrs.

but I negotiated everything, price, warranty, service, manuals, new helmet jacket etc....

ask for everything trust me they are super hungry right now and if you tell them you are serious buyer they will listen or walk away....

Quick Reply: Buying New Harley