Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Best 2 Speaker set up Battle of the Pro Audio Coax

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Review: Best 2 Speaker set up Battle of the Pro Audio Coax

I've been riding around the past few weeks with two speakers in my fairing, determined to find something that I would consider the best two speaker set up and it's come down to the Beyma 6XC200Nd and the Faital 6HX150 Coaxial speakers. While both are considered pro audio speakers, any they each have a compression tweeter/horn attached to them...they are both very different! To add some context I've been riding a 2015 RG, with a Sony XAV5000 radio, a Sound Digital 800.4 amplifier and a JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Here are my thoughts!

Beyma 6CX200DNd
Holy cow do these things sound good.....AND, they pound! The woofer on this speaker has a rubber surround similar to to your traditional coaxial speaker end not the paper cone with W surround that most pro audio speakers have. They're spec'd out to play down to 60hz and it was incredible the amount of bass these speakers produce. The downside is they are 92db sensitive, while it would still be considered efficient compared to a traditional coaxial like a Hertz Mille Pro, it requires MUCH more power to get as a loud a PRV 6MR500 or a Beyma 6G40. The compression driver is loud, in a good way and doesn't play in the super tweeter freqs (18k-20k) so while loud, it's not ear piercing bright. The vocals really come thru with these. You WILL have to tone down the compression driver as it will drown out the woofer at the same volume. Around town and up to about 70mph I could hear the bass thumping and the vocals clear as day. I was impressed, there was a fullness there that is super pleasing to listen to and the rubber surround has real bass extension like a subwoofer sounds. Once I hit 85-90mph all of that was washed away by wind, road noise, etc and all you are left with is the compression driver, and to be honest at 90mph I think a 6G40 is more pleasant to listen to than a compression driver, however the 6G40 and/or PRV will NEVER, EVER, EVER have the bass this speaker has under 75mph. That to me was the major difference here. I like this speaker tons and hands down holds the number 1 spot for a complete sound from a 2 speaker bike. Now you wanna hear the downside....they don't fit the 14+ SG's. They're pretty deep speakers, pics below. (Price on these are around 315.00 each) note: I know some shops are using the 5.25 version in the SG's and they have similar specs, always an option.

Faital 6HX150. This thing is pure elegance. Its a lighter speaker, and at first it looked like it just had a tweeter connected to the back of it...but once I looked thru the dust cap I could see Faital designed it with smaller waive guide (horn) thru the vent pole. It's just covered up. The speaker is slightly more sensitive than the Beyma at 93db and spec'd to play similarly low. What I found is the bass is different. The Faital woofer is more inline with your traditional pro audio speaker, the bass wasn't a low deep bass, it was a nice hard punch that's easily heard on the road. It was loud bass. What I really liked about the Faital is the woofer plays much more vocals and relies less on the tweeter for vocals so it sounds more like what I'm used to. The tweeter on this thing is just that...a tweeter it plays higher freqs similar to your Herts ST25, B3's, etc. I find this speaker at 240.00 each to be a more practical speaker than the Beyma. Without question the Beyma plays lower and the horn plays louder....this is just a cleaner "package", lighter, and fits! No cutting of the RG pods fo this to slide in, I rode with them for a bout a week and the best news about these is they fit in the fairing of 14+ SG's (with some mods to the pods) I plan on using these quite a bit on installs. For the life of me after hearing these two speakers I can't ever imagine using regular coaxial on a two speaker set up when these are available. So much good and LOUD sound.

If I had to pick it would be a toss up between the two. Generally speaking the Beyma is a better quality speaker (it should be with a higher cost), but I think riding style would make a difference in my choice, also if I had enough power for them as well. So it's hard to say one is better than the other....likely there's a better one for certain applications.

Pics below for you to check out. For size comparison. I'll also add that I've done the Beymas on a stock radio, flashed, with a Stinger amp, no DSP's just capacitors and crossovers so you don't need all the fancy stuff...although HIGHLY recommended. Hit me if you have questions!

The following 5 users liked this post by haze324:
Bafflingbs (11-13-2018), coach127 (03-03-2019), dbdicker (11-11-2018), Moto Mike (10-18-2018), Stricnine (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks for the review! i just picked up an open box special for a set of the Beyma's to try. I also want to get a set of the Beyma 8's to try in the TP.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 AM
GFFGBeast
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haze can u show some pics on how you mounted those speakers in RG?

Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Thank you for the review. Im looking to redo my fairing.

When you say the Beyma doesn't fit 14+ SG, does that mean at all or just not in the pods. Would they fit in a BT bracket?

Does the Faital fit in a SG pod?

And lastly, have you compared these to any of the GZ 6.5's?

Thanks Haze

Old 10-18-2018, 04:59 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Thank you for the review. Im looking to redo my fairing.

When you say the Beyma doesn't fit 14+ SG, does that mean at all or just not in the pods. Would they fit in a BT bracket?

Does the Faital fit in a SG pod?

Thanks Haze
I can attest that the beyma's wont fit in the fairing with the brackets. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch too long and the top outer corner hit the outer fairing when mounted on the bt brackets.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

I don't know if I could ever bring myself to spend that much money on speakers but will they fit the pre-14 batwing fairings?

Thanks for the review BTW it's always easier and cheaper to learn from someone else's experience!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I can attest that the beyma's wont fit in the fairing with the brackets. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch too long and the top outer corner hit the outer fairing when mounted on the bt brackets.
Is it possible to mount them on the other side of the bt bracket with the speakers going thru the bracket (if that makes sense)? That would make it a little shorter.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GFFGBeast
Haze can u show some pics on how you mounted those speakers in RG?
I don't, but all that is needed is about 2x4 inch cut out from the side of the pod. Just about any high end pro audio speaker will require you to modify the pod. I cut the hole then cover it with dynamat like material.

The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited

Thanks Haze
I posted while back a review on the GZ pro audio speakers with a horn mounted in the back. They have fantastic vocals but no low end. The surround is a flat foam, I think I had to cross them around 200hz. The sound great, but not ideal for a 2 speaker fairing set up. Maybe lowers or another location if the bike had tons of bass to keep up.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Gypsye,
Don't rain on my parade. LOL Good to know though.
Juice

Quick Reply: Review: Best 2 Speaker set up Battle of the Pro Audio Coax