EVO All Evo Model Discussion

charcoal canister disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 PM
1 sinner
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default charcoal canister disconnect

hey everyone , i have a 96 heritage, i want to install a shotgun shock set up, but the compresser goes where the charcoal canister is, ive been told to take it out and toss it,the way it is now theres 2 lines going in,for vapor and 1 coming out - the one coming out is dissconnected and the hose is plugged, the 2 going in are connected as normal. my question is , if i toss it and zip tie the 2 hoses going in (so they wont flap around , not to plug them) will it effect how it runs, will i be able to smell gas, as my mechanic friend thinks?

Old 10-19-2018, 10:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 sinner
hey everyone , i have a 96 heritage, i want to install a shotgun shock set up, but the compressor goes where the charcoal canister is, ive been told to take it out and toss it,the way it is now theres 2 lines going in,for vapor and 1 coming out - the one coming out is disconnected and the hose is plugged, the 2 going in are connected as normal. my question is , if i toss it and zip tie the 2 hoses going in (so they wont flap around , not to plug them) will it effect how it runs, will i be able to smell gas, as my mechanic friend thinks?
First off you running EFI or carb?
If you're running a carb just take it and all related hoses off your bike.
All you need is a vent line from your tank down to your swing arm.
Make damn sure you don't pinch that hose.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

You can get a good idea of what parts are involved by checking a parts website, or better still if you have the FSM. However does your bike have to pass any local inspection where they will check for that canister? Would be a bit unfortunate if you have to put it all back on!

Old 10-20-2018, 06:20 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Yeah. EPA may not really exist anymore, but the rulles are still up on emissions.
Are the OEM rear shocks adjustable on the 96 softail?

Old 10-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Yeah. EPA may not really exist anymore, but the rulles are still up on emissions.
Are the OEM rear shocks adjustable on the 96 softail?
Can't answer what hoops the OP has to jump through to register the bike in Cali, but the OEM shocks on a '96 Softail are adjustable for preload, but not for ride height (shock length).

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (10-20-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM
1 sinner
4th Gear

it carberated - - thanks

Old 10-21-2018, 01:10 PM
1 sinner
4th Gear

also , here in california,i guess they have emissions for bikes but they dont check... so off it goes !!!

Old 10-21-2018, 03:25 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Neither up here in MASS

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

I would not modify it but if you do, get the one way resistance check valve that goes in the line. If you just run a hose, the surge of raw liquid fuel will be able to go into hose when you brake. The way is is designed in the non canaster states is there is a vent in only, in the tank fuel cap. Normal running puts a vacuum on tank and since vent hose is a air lock, raw fuel does not dump into it. Sitting and off, any heat build up pressure pushes only air/fuel air fumes from down vent. That valve must be clamped verticle.
Here in VA, a state inspection could reject a change like this since it is a $10,000 Federal fine for them letting it pass.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-21-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I would not modify it but if you do, get the one way resistance check valve that goes in the line. If you just run a hose, the surge of raw liquid fuel will be able to go into hose when you brake. The way is is designed in the non canaster states is there is a vent in only, in the tank fuel cap. Normal running puts a vacuum on tank and since vent hose is a air lock, raw fuel does not dump into it. Sitting and off, any heat build up pressure pushes only air/fuel air fumes from down vent. That valve must be clamped verticle.
Here in VA, a state inspection could reject a change like this since it is a $10,000 Federal fine for them letting it pass.
FWIW I've been running that vent line without the check valve for 10 years without a problem.

Quick Reply: charcoal canister disconnect