Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Ugh Advice Please

I bought some PRV Neo 6.5s that are highly reviewed here. They make me gag, how is it that seemingly everyone here loves them? They are loud AF, but sound like listening to a megaphone. Will changing some more of my setup help these sound better?
I haven't sold anything I have bought for this bike yet, but I will need to start letting go of some stuff soon.
Current set up is Boom 6.5, BT LL, JL 400/4, SD250.2, PRV 6.5s, HAT L1PROs, Polk MM692.
On the shelf DD D4.90, RF TMS69, BT479, HAT L6s, DD AW6.5s, AT28s.
I really liked the sound of the HAT L6s and L1PROs, but they don't seem to get great reviews here. The thing they lack is loudness at speed.
Everyone was so pleased with the AWs that I may try them again. Alothough I hurt one of the AT28s so I will have to make do with the HAT tweets, or choose another.
I think I need to give the Polks some more juice as well so I may add the DD D4.90 to them.
I guess there are just a lot of trade offs in this persuit of the unicorn. I'm discouraged but not giving up.
Long term I think I will go with a 6 speaker set up with 10s in the bags, I know at speed it won't produce what i'm looking for but maybe around town I will be closer to the kill.
I apologize for the semi rambling post. I'm trying to include several thoughts in a condensed manner. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Any pro audio mid range you listen to is designed to play stupid loud in a certain frequency band/range --- they are not stand alone speakers like a full range coaxial is. They are supposed to be part of a complete system, think (highs, mids, lows) so I you are only listening to stupidly loud vocals and don't have the highs or lows to compliment them they are gonna sound pretty bad. It's a "system" not a singular item. So when folks ask what would be better this or that, the question should always be what else is on the set up, and what best compliments the rest of the bike. Also running a DSP where you can set crossovers to the get the most accurate sound from those speakers significantly helps.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:27 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by haze324
Any pro audio mid range you listen to is designed to play stupid loud in a certain frequency band/range --- they are not stand alone speakers like a full range coaxial is. They are supposed to be part of a complete system, think (highs, mids, lows) so I you are only listening to stupidly loud vocals and don't have the highs or lows to compliment them they are gonna sound pretty bad. It's a "system" not a singular item. So when folks ask what would be better this or that, the question should always be what else is on the set up, and what best compliments the rest of the bike. Also running a DSP where you can set crossovers to the get the most accurate sound from those speakers significantly helps.
Okay with that in mind if I where to add the B3 horns that I plan to use in the future and say VO 6x9s for interm use will it balance these bad boys out? I get the "system works together" statement. Does that leave these(PRV) unusable until I'm ready for 10s and comp drivers?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Since u have the DD AW6, run those suckers with horns. Give them some power to the AWs and keep the horns on their own channel so u can manage the highs.

Ur and my ears might be the same brother. I tried putting the PRV on my sled a few different times and they were not for me, and it wasn't even close. Lasted 30 mins max. Fatiguing.

I try and get my fairing to be as close to awesome as possible as a stand alone stage, cause the higher that speed meter climbs, the fairing becomes really damn important.

If u like the AWs & Horns then ur unicorn hunt becomes the AWs on steroids.

T

Old 10-20-2018, 04:03 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Since u have the DD AW6, run those suckers with horns. Give them some power to the AWs and keep the horns on their own channel so u can manage the highs.

Ur and my ears might be the same brother. I tried putting the PRV on my sled a few different times and they were not for me, and it wasn't even close. Lasted 30 mins max. Fatiguing.

I try and get my fairing to be as close to awesome as possible as a stand alone stage, cause the higher that speed meter climbs, the fairing becomes really damn important.

If u like the AWs & Horns then ur unicorn hunt becomes the AWs on steroids.

T
I will try the AWs again I'll try bridging them to the 400/4, leave the L1pros on the SD250.2, then add the D4 to the Polks. Kind of what I was thinking anyway, hopefully just rearranging can tide me over til I commit to cutting up my bags.

Still interested in knowing if the horns and VO6x9s are worth a try?

Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I have the PRV in fairing with B3 and in my Lowers with PRV 8s in bags.
I’m at the same point my fairing speaks are not what they once were, Lowers I like what I’m hearing. On the hunt for some new fairing speaks as well.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:51 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

please layout for me your speaker placement and how much power you are sending to what speaker. what are you using to tune this with? as Haze mentioned tuning is a big key, especially will pA stuff, you might find that your next purchase might want to include a dsp. if you are trying to get sound a 75 and up, this is one thing that will surely help.
m

Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior

I have a dsp already and many hours of tuning with very knowledgeable
people from this forum. I was just saying I agree with you on my ears dont
like them anymore

Old 10-20-2018, 06:28 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
I have the PRV in fairing with B3 and in my Lowers with PRV 8s in bags.
I’m at the same point my fairing speaks are not what they once were, Lowers I like what I’m hearing. On the hunt for some new fairing speaks as well.
Are your fairing speakers on brackets or in pods?

Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

Are your fairing speakers on brackets or in pods?
BT brackets with poly fill. They just keep getting brighter and louder the
longer I play them. Yoop and babyboy will agre with this as well. Lookinh
for something warmer at this point. Considering the Crescendo Un as I’m
not buying Beymas at $400 a pair.

Quick Reply: Ugh Advice Please